The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Snowshoe Week trip report

This is the spot to post your trail and trip reports. Please notify [email protected] when you do so that we can feature the better ones on the front of the website.
2slikstix
Expert
Tagline: Tree Whore

Hope e'body had a good Monday before Christmas. I woke up in the Inn at Snowshoe after ariving last night. We moved up the hill to Highland House and got the condo set for the week. Put up the lights, waiting to see if Security tekes em down. We got a rock Star patio bigger than most.

About 45 here most of the day, light rain tonight. The slopes were in good shape after a week of heat with 30 trails open. Some thin spots with a few "brown gremlins "waiting to grab you. Ballhooter ran about 5 min wait all afternoon. Not too bad crowd today.

Snowshoe is convient. For families, it beats the others hands down for the complete package. This is our first trip here, but it wont be our last. Walk out, click in, ski. We were back in the room in 5 min when the runs closed. Quick dinner in and some christmas cookies in the oven, MMMMM that smell" covers alot. Looking forward to a good week with snow commin on wednesday. You were right Davidski, dont come up here, it sucks. Change your plans.

Gotta go night skiing at Silver creek! pix latenight!
"You mean there is Two of them??"
"it's about 10 very heavy inches. I can drive it but it sure will be slow"
aclemons
Advanced

Thanks for the report, Stix! Keep us posted, I am going there for my anniversary in Feb.
admin

pretty much like we talked about huh......now only if somewhere down here could get it going on about a 10th as good....as far as the lodging goes

how are the wifes skis treating her.... :D
bamapilot
Expert

I would be nice to see an area in NC have the village feel that Snowshoe has. Ober has it, but the NC areas are not located in a village, they are a small drive out of town. Maybe if Pheonix gets going they will be able to compete. Wolf might be trying, but I don't think they are going to be able to pull it off.

Well, until any of that happens, in the southeast go to Snowshoe.
afrobigfoot
Expert

Though it would be nice to go to a ski area that has that kind of feel that a lot of people mention about Snowshoe. I wouldnt go, at least not for that feel and that cost. If I went to snowshoe id sleep in the car and make peanut butter sandwiches, Im not paying that $$$$$. I cant afford it now, though I know that one day I sure I will be able to, but the truth is, im too much of a cheapass to spend $10 just formyself to eat one meal., how the hell could I take my family there when ever I have one?

I would like to go to snowshoe to see what the hype is about the terrain.

And I cant wait to see these pictures.
bamapilot
Expert

I know what you mean fro. When I was still in college, a buddy and I used to go and stay at Spruce Lodge on top of the hill. It was nothing more than a dorm room. We would take an ice chest full of food and a toaster oven. We would live off of that for a week. They have now torn down Spruce, so the best bet would be the Inn, but that isn't even on the top. Two weeks I went and stayed at the Marlinton Motor Inn about 20 minutes away. If I had the opportunity to go for a week again, I would now pay for the condo and enjoy the week. It is expensive but I would say it is worth it.
g8erhater
Advanced

The spruce was the stuff. God Bless those exposed plywood walls.
admin

but afro.....when you turn 21 and ski all day ...drink till the wee hours in the morning...bar hopping throughout nthe village....one night on fat tuesday this one bar was so crowded ....I just grabbed the bar and held it for three hours ordering drinks for all the people behind us.....every time we would order for them....they would buy for us.....the band rocked....the ladies danced on the bar and we all stumbled home.....Drew from app was on that trip with us....he got thrown out of the infection for underage drinking....what a night..it all started with a rail jam in the village with a huge crowd and mega crashes off of the snow onto the asphalt.....i have the pics........get up and do it all again....without ever driving the car anywhere...you'll understand.....i have had some fun times partying there with all the reps and retailers during demo days.....
davidski
Expert

2slikstix wrote:
You were right Davidski, dont come up here, it sucks. Change your plans.

Gotta go night skiing at Silver creek! pix latenight!

Damn 2slik -- rub it in a little!!

I like Shoe for the most part and love silver creek; but yeah I am surprised conditions are that good and real surprised they got Silver Creek up and running after this weather. Have fun and post pics, try not to gloat I'm in enough pain over my canceled plans already
davidski
Expert

Where them pics, you act like your on vacation or something.

BTW if the Flying eagle lift opens you've got to ski that run, it has a steep drop in on skiers left and then you can really fly all the way getting downhill style air a couple of places. It's always almost empty (slow lift ride but worth it a few times) Its only open days though. The view from the top is the best I've seen in SE resorts