The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

COLORADO TRIP REPORT

This is the spot to post your trail and trip reports. Please notify [email protected] when you do so that we can feature the better ones on the front of the website.
admin

My recollection of the alleys were they were more like 35 degrees. I recall going all the way to the rope on the left and I don't recall thinking anything was toughter than the alleys.

50 Degrees is some very serious stuff, where snow starts having a very tough time holding to the slope and avy danger is very real. Axis X & Tdave can speak to it a lot more than I can, but I seriously doubt you saw much, if anything, more than 40.
g8erhater
Advanced

Ga tom wrote:
50 Degrees is some very serious stuff, where snow starts having a very tough time holding to the slope and avy danger is very real. Axis X & Tdave can speak to it a lot more than I can, but I seriously doubt you saw much, if anything, more than 40.

Agreed. Axis had a great post about this last year before the crash.
skiing rules
Expert

35 degrees? yea, tom terrific is way more extreme than anything at abasin
admin

skiing rules wrote:

I think youre exaggerating just a tad....there's a difference between 35 degrees for 2 turns with no obstacles as opposed to 35 degrees for 1k continuous vert while dodging trees and rocks.
skiing rules
Expert

that isnt as far out as we went, that more down the middle of palli closer to the palli face, if u go all the way to the far rope on palli, which that is not, i know because i skied there 3 days ago. All the way on the far rope there is a gate to go through and beyond the gate it is really steep, trust me, there were areas way steeper than anything in the east, we could stand straight up on the slope and reach oyut and touch the snow above us
g8erhater
Advanced

skiing rules wrote:

I have been to both many times and clearly abasin is more extreme, but that is in part because of the length of its runs, the trees, and the cliffs--not just the pitch.
KneeDeep
Expert

I think some of the runs to the far left where SR is describing could be close to 50- but I don't think they reach it. The Alleys aren't that bad, they're much more mellow than where he's talking about. Either way, when you get good snow everything under the Pali lift is pure $$$$$$. :lol:
admin

Do you have pics of these 50 degree slopes, SR?
Think Snow
Intermediate

KneeDeep wrote:
I think some of the runs to the far left where SR is describing could be close to 50- but I don't think they reach it. :

i agree, some of the runs all the way to the far left could be close to 50. Not quite 50 but close.