The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

COLORADO TRIP REPORT

This is the spot to post your trail and trip reports. Please notify [email protected] when you do so that we can feature the better ones on the front of the website.
skiing rules
Expert

it was an AWESOME trip and ill post the tr later w/ pics, i just got back into atl, and my dad is still in denver due to some complications
skiing rules
Expert

Well colorado is awsome. I am very surprised that not many people on here like colorado, everyday was a powder day and the terrain at abasin will rival anything at alta or snowbird.

DAY 1:

we arrived in denver at about 12:15 in the afternoon due to some kind of mechanical problem with the plane we were going to ride out to denver in. The flight was cool, but long and we flew in a boeing 737-700. We arrived in denver to about 40 dgree temps with snow on the ground. We headed back into the mtns and the snow got deeper the further back we went. We saw some huge mtns on the way and we saw loveland and it looked great. the elevation in colorado is really high, no one had any problems with altitude sickness at all, but the point on I-70 at loveland is over 11,000'.We got to our hotel, the best western lake dillon lodge. Our original plan was to ski at keystone the evening of our arrival, but we got there and the tickets were ridiculus for 3 hours of skiing, and no one would sell us a ticket to use for the night session, and the terrain there looked really mellow and family oriented. keystone appeared to be a really glitzy touristy destination so we weren't very impressed. Abasin was only a few more miles up the road so we went up there to check it out, after our letdown at keystone Logan(skiatl) and I wanted to ski very badly. We found an area directly across the street from abasin's main parking lot that looked really good to ski. We hiked up it and were exhausted, the snow was kind crusty with about 10" of powder on top of it so every other step we sank down to our waist.We finally made it and skied it, it was kinda sketchy and not having any warm up runs at all or anything we made it down ok. Abasin looked sick just from the parking lot so we were already really excited to be sking it later that weekend. Colorado was extremely cold wheil were there, highs in the low 20's and lows around 0-9 degrees with clouds and wind and snow, this was also in silverthorne at about 9,000', so it was a lot colder at the resorts(abasin's base is almost 10,800 feet, and loveland is 10,800')
admin

skiing rules wrote:
and the terrain there looked really mellow and family oriented.

To my memory they had a pretty bitchin (least by NC standards) terrain park completely lit at nite up from the moutian haus side. Pipe, rails, mega hits.
skiing rules
Expert

DAY 2: COPPER (friday)

The day started at about 6:45, we had to make our breakfast in our room because the hotel we stayed at charged $9.00 for their continenatl breakfast which was a ripoff. We headed up to copper with fresh snow on the ground super excited about the day. The mtns we saw heading up there were huge and the eather was very cloudy and cold. We got our tickets for half price thanks to logan buying a pair of new gloves that came with 2 buy 1 get 1 free coupons. We spent a while trying to resell one of the extra tickets and finally somebody bought it. We rode the super bee chair first which goes up really high on the mtn into some pretty brutal weather. We made one rund won it first on about 6-8" of really nice powder with no tracks through it and the woods looked even nicer. Next lift we rode was storm king which is a poma lift and even it went a lot faster than most of the ifts in nc. Logan and I rode it first and the visibilty was horrible so u could see about 25' in front of you and the wind was blowing super hard and it was snowing too. WE could not see a thing so we just skied right along side of the top rope along the poma lift to get down to where we could see. We headed to the resolution chair i think amnd it cleared up perfectly. In about 4 minutes it went from a horrible blizzard to a perfectly clear sunny day. Logan and I got some REALLY nice powder in some pretty open woods where I experienced my first faceshot ever. Logan and I skied the woods a ton this trip because a lot of the runs were moguls or packed down from all the traffic, so we got really good at trees on this trip. WE skied the powder in the trees down to the alpine lift where the trees really tightened up a lot. The alpine lift was a lot of fun except all the runs were huge moguls except for far east which was good because not many people skied it. The weather moved back in and it got gray really quickly. We headed back to storm king and headed for the back bowls which weren't that great becuase ther was some ice and crust with some powder and lots of moguls. We skied unioun meadows a lot and the snow was really nice in there and the woods were really nice there too. WE made a few runs down the park which was kinda hard and icy surprisingly. The rest of the time we pretty much just skied the woods and found some really nice stashes that opened up a little bit and were pretty steep too(mid 40 degree range).I was kinda surprised at the terrain at copper because their double diamonds were pretty tame and there wasn't really anything that I saw that was really steep. We didnt realy get any pics of copper because the weather wasn't very good for any decent pics. This was also the first day that my dad skied his new volkl karma's and he liked them a lot so that was good.
skiing rules
Expert

yes the park there is really nice, one of the nicest anywhere, thats one of the main reasons we wanted to go there. Tht is also one of the reasons that makes up for keystiones lack of snowfall and advanced terrain.
KneeDeep
Expert

Ga Tom- I think you're right, there is a nice terrain park lit up at night... however, the front side where they have the regular runs open is very mellow and they don't have much to offer during the night sessions- I think that's what he was referring to.

SR- next time be careful skiing stuff OB around A-Basin... there are a lot of avy chutes and paths in the area, and you never know when one might slide. Sounds like you had a nice trip!
skiing rules
Expert

we were really careful, the slope we were on had really no avvy danger, it was really close to the road with trees on it and the snow was kinda crusty and firm, it was fine.
Think Snow
Intermediate

skiing rules wrote:

Logan and I rode it first and the visibilty was horrible so u could see about 25' in front of you and the wind was blowing super hard and it was snowing too. WE could not see a thing so we just skied right along side of the top rope along the poma lift to get down to where we could see. We headed to the resolution chair i think amnd it cleared up perfectly. In about 4 minutes it went from a horrible blizzard to a perfectly clear sunny day.

yeah i was up there that day with my girl, we had just got on the excalibur lift when that blizzard type wind hit, then next thing you know it was sunny.

Quote:
I was kinda surprised at the terrain at copper because their double diamonds were pretty tame and there wasn't really anything that I saw that was really steep. We didnt realy get any pics of copper because the weather wasn't very good for any decent pics. This was also the first day that my dad skied his new volkl karma's and he liked them a lot so that was good.

did you guys ride the free CAT up to tucker mountain? Tucker is some great terrain!
skiing rules
Expert

DAY 3: loveland (saturday)

Loveland is a really nice resort that gets lots of snow. I know some of the other resorts dont get that much (like keystone), but loveland averages about 400'' annualy. There is much better terrain at loveland than at copper, in my opinion. We rode up chair 2 first then we took the south chuted to chair 9 where there were no tracks at all, maybe a few. From the top of loveland you can see breck and keystone and some really huge mtns. A lot of lovelands terrain is above tree line which is cool so we made several awesome runs in pretty deep powder with no tracks through it. chair 4 was cool and chair 8 had the east rope trees which were realy nice. my dad took an advanced lesson and he was the only one in the lesson so it workd out well for him and it helped him a lot. There were other NICE stashes that I am not willing to reveal the identity of.chair 1 was awesome too, especially over the rainbow, i judt like tat run a lot for some reason and all the trees off chair 1 were nice too.
skiing rules
Expert

Think Snow wrote:

skiing rules wrote:

Logan and I rode it first and the visibilty was horrible so u could see about 25' in front of you and the wind was blowing super hard and it was snowing too. WE could not see a thing so we just skied right along side of the top rope along the poma lift to get down to where we could see. We headed to the resolution chair i think amnd it cleared up perfectly. In about 4 minutes it went from a horrible blizzard to a perfectly clear sunny day.

yeah i was up there that day with my girl, we had just got on the excalibur lift when that blizzard type wind hit, then next thing you know it was sunny.

Quote:
I was kinda surprised at the terrain at copper because their double diamonds were pretty tame and there wasn't really anything that I saw that was really steep. We didnt realy get any pics of copper because the weather wasn't very good for any decent pics. This was also the first day that my dad skied his new volkl karma's and he liked them a lot so that was good.

did you guys ride the free CAT up to tucker mountain? Tucker is some great terrain!

no we didnt ski tucker, it did look really nice though, the weather wasnt very good and we didnt know where it picked up or anything