The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

COLORADO TRIP REPORT

This is the spot to post your trail and trip reports. Please notify [email protected] when you do so that we can feature the better ones on the front of the website.
admin

GreshamB wrote:

Ga tom wrote:
Do you have pics of these 50 degree slopes, SR?

Where are the pics of the crew doin' Gad Chutes...steep as balls...dont know about 50 degrees, but steep as balls...

busters dont know nothing bout dat do they Ga? I think we hooted and hollered all the way down, after we got ouf of the wind....powder bliss....

Gresh the gad chutes we did, I honestly did not think they were as steep as the top of hi boy, which I belive Axis and his incline-omiter put at 40-43 degrees. So I'd guess the Gad Chutes we did are in the upper thirties.

We saw axis rip the gad chutes. I recall TDave saying Axis was maybe just a bit better on alpines than him. I also recall Axis saying that he starts getting the pucker factor at about 40 degrees. And I can tell ya, on top of Hiboy a year ago, I coulda made diamonds outta coal.

All of that makes it very hard for me to beleive SR and Skiatlanta were running north of 45 degrees. I mean, this is what, thier second trip out west? I've been on that pali fall line twice, and I honestly do not recall the fall line getting any steeper from first alley to the rope on the skier's left. Just thicker trees and shorter distance to the run-out.

Just my $.02.
admin

Yeah, it just rocked bein out there with all you guys and all that powder. No doubt. If i were one of the jackson five I'd say booooommmmmerrr. And the entrance to High boy is a b!tch to find, took me four tries!

I'll be back there in three weeks! High boy again, and I'm gonna do at least the cirque. Maybe take some kind of class where they can babysit me through great scott or something.

But the real point is, which axis sorta edumucated some of us on, is it is way, way, too easy to over-estimate slope, especially without a frame of reference. Which LCC sure gives ya.
skiing rules
Expert

KneeDeep wrote:
I think some of the runs to the far left where SR is describing could be close to 50- but I don't think they reach it. The Alleys aren't that bad, they're much more mellow than where he's talking about. Either way, when you get good snow everything under the Pali lift is pure $$$$$$. :lol:

thank you, i dont think they are 50 degrees either, probably upper 40's, but still really steep.
teledave
Expert

[sarcasm]and mine is bigger than yours too! [/sarcasm]

Gad Chutes is 35-38 degrees tops, the steepest areas of Palli that I can think of will run 42-45.

Tom, I have some good video of you coming down Honeycomb. It will debut eventually.
Plans for 2015: To ski more than you
admin

skiing rules wrote:
if u dont think were good skiers lets see you try to hit a box or a rail, or do a 3.yes i can ski it and so can Logan. we dont have any pics of the steep runs we skied because the camera man didnt wanna venture that far, sorry.

Exactly where did I say that?
KneeDeep
Expert

I didn't question your ability either...
skiing rules
Expert

alright nvm, this is going bad places
skiatlanta
Advanced

With the first break in all my make-up work for school, I come to see this...dissapointing. No more arguing. It's pointless. Anyway here are the points I want to touch upon about our trip:

Most importantly, Gauthier(you can find it on the trail map, and it is easy to miss while you are skiing with its gate kinda hidden by trees and such) is 46 degrees according to Skiing magazine. It could have been a little more or a little less. I think 46 is about right. Other than a touch technical section with roots in the snow, stumps, and other stuff, Gauthier presented a challenge, but nothing to really get me scared or my adrenaline(sp?) up.

Ok, for the trip. It was a very good trip. The only pics that I might be able to get would be pulled from DV, and that will take a while. Keystone is an ok mountain. I will never ski there unless I can get a cheap pass or something. North peak and the outback are pretty good. I didn't get to ski them much when I was there last year, so I guess I can't talk much, but I have found far better at nearby resorts.

Copper Mountain is good too. I like winter Park better, but I would still like to go back to copper when they have better weather. I liked their park. I can now do 3's in the pipe thanks to the total of 2 runs we took in the park. Union meadows and 17 glade were the most memorable places to ski that day.

Loveland had the best pow for the trip. Everything off chair 9 was $. APP HAS A BETTER PARK THAN LOVELAND(not counting the jumps). All of App's rails were superior than loveland's. Lovelands best feature was the trap box. Loveland had 2 jumps about the size or a little bigger than App's. Loveland didn't maintain their park very well, and the features weren't set up as well as they could have been. So, I was glad to see that App is doing great and being on par/possibly better than a large western resort, but dissapointed at the same time with the maintenance(or lack of) Loveland's park.

There were also some nice runs off chair 1 in the trees, or to far skier's right. There was one small cliff that was fun to hit too. The east ropes off of chair 8 are great too.

A basin is great. I can't add much other than I wish there were more options for cliffs(the landings for all the decent sized ones were sketchy).

I apologize for the lack of style in the pic of me on the flat box at a basin. I really didn't know what kind box I was hitting and its a long story. That's about it. Thanks SR for letting me go.
KneeDeep
Expert

Loveland's park definitely does suck... but they make no attempt to improve it, nor do they want to. If you noticed, there's a definite lack of snowboarders at Loveland- its all skiers and telemarkers. That's why I love it there!
admin

damn snowboarders.....

Loveland must have a lot of flat spots