The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

App 3/12 trip report- with pics

This is the spot to post your trail and trip reports. Please notify [email protected] when you do so that we can feature the better ones on the front of the website.
afrobigfoot
Expert

Me and my brother went up to App tonight, had a great time, met some cool 11 year olds that were pretty good on snowboards, and some little 4 year old girl that was skiing alone, maybe a little older, but pretty awesome, she was pretty good too, i mean she did the pizza thing going down everything, including Appal, but still, pretty neat.

Any one know why my pictures are so grainy???

SkiCop
Expert

I believe that at night the camera will electronically compensate for the lack of light. It is similar to grain when zoomed. With optical zoom, you are OK. Digital zoom makes zooming a waste of time. A small camera with a small lens just can't gather much light.
Jamie
Beginner

aww you didn't get a picture of our new hip with X-TREME spraypainted on the side of it.
afrobigfoot
Expert

SkiCop wrote:
I believe that at night the camera will electronically compensate for the lack of light. It is similar to grain when zoomed. With optical zoom, you are OK. Digital zoom makes zooming a waste of time. A small camera with a small lens just can't gather much light.

Ive noticed, specially with the manual setting, and specially when im using the ISO setting to the max, with the shutter open for 15 seconds, and the apature as low as possible ( for pictures of the lights off of the mountains) that my pictures can get quite grainy some times, really annoying. But all those pictures werent messed with like that. idk... as long as it isnt something spacificly wrong with my camera.

Thank you skicop
pagamony
Advanced

very nice pics, thanks. whats your camera?

looks like the crowds were overwhelming, so sorry about that that. must have been heck in those liftlines.

the snow does look good. next weekend might be ok at some of these places
Markhpnc
Intermediate

afrobigfoot wrote:

As far as I know, the only thing that will increase the graininess in digi pics is the ISO. You have to bump the ISO up for low light pictures without the flash so they won't come out blurry. If you have an auto setting it may bump the ISO up automatically in low light. So it is a sacrifice, you get more graininess and noise, but no blur (you really don't want blur though). If you use a tripod, you can take low light pics with a low ISO and avoid that.
afrobigfoot
Expert

Markhpnc wrote:

afrobigfoot wrote:

As far as I know, the only thing that will increase the graininess in digi pics is the ISO. You have to bump the ISO up for low light pictures without the flash so they won't come out blurry. If you have an auto setting it may bump the ISO up automatically in low light. So it is a sacrifice, you get more graininess and noise, but no blur (you really don't want blur though). If you use a tripod, you can take low light pics with a low ISO and avoid that.

Alright, for most the pictures i was using the ISO at 400, and a shutter speed of like 1/15 of a second, idk, something like that, but that answers my question, thats the highest my ISO will go.

Thank you mark!
afrobigfoot
Expert

pagamony wrote:
very nice pics, thanks. whats your camera?

Canon Power shot A610
SKISC
Expert

Usually is ISO. You could use a tri pod and go to 100 and see if it helps. I know the pod would not be fun skiing with but it is the only way to ge the exposure I think you will need with the lower setting.
afrobigfoot
Expert

SKISC wrote:
Usually is ISO. You could use a tri pod and go to 100 and see if it helps. I know the pod would not be fun skiing with but it is the only way to ge the exposure I think you will need with the lower setting.

Yeah, ill just say screw it to taking pictures at night while skiing :P