The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

TR: 62 Inches at MT Baker, WA 2/11/14-2/17/14

Created to honor the most worthy of all Threads - These will remain locked for your reading enjoyment
Droogie
Advanced

The PNW had been having a drought. The drought broke a few days before we arrived and the nukage ensued. It kept snowing and snowing and to the tune of 13+8+8+3+12+18=62 inches over the 6 days I skied there. Each day got slightly colder. By the end of the trip we were skiing Montana blower more so than Cascade Concrete. We had a sweet house in Bellingham as close to the mountain as we could get and still house 12 people. Baker is pretty remote with scant lodging within an hour. We had a great group. One guy used to be on patrol at Sunday River, two brothers who raced in college one of whom coached in college and the other is on patrol at Squaw Valley. Our guide was a guy who has been on a number of our previous trips out west that relocated to Bellingham last year. He also skied in college and is on patrol at Baker. He showed us the many nooks and crannies of Baker and how to efficiently manage a powder day. Everyone at the house could shred, hard. We had planned to do a day trip to Whistler and or Stevens Pass, but decided not to. Baker was closer with tons of snow and cheap lifties so we bunkered down and skied everything the place had to offer minus the rather numerous inbounds 20-70 ft mandatory airs easily visible from the lifts. Baker is the real deal. 650 inches on average with serious inbounds terrain. Unfortunately, the easily accessible side-country off Mount Shuksan arm and elbow were absolute no-goes the whole time we were there unless you wanted to die. Faceshots were enjoyed by all and luckily we had some pretty avid photographers who supplemented my iphone 5s pics with some amazing images.

The pics speak for themselves.

Boom! Enter the White Room.

Make sure to come up for air.

Ski Patrol buddy testing the goods.

Did I mention it was DEEP?

Here you can see early afternoon free refills thanks to the nukage.

Yours truly.

I promise he was not just standing there. He was moving pretty fast.

Despite the nukage as seen in this pic visibility was good most of the week.

Dropping a 15 footer. You can’t see the take off or him riding away, or the fact that this was right under the lift but he did! It was that kind of a day.

Droogie
Advanced

Time for my iPhone pics! lol.

Mt Shuksan elevation 9,131 ft. We only saw this mountain for about 15 minutes the whole trip.

These next pics are of the Shuksan arm, part of Baker's renowned side-country. This was an absolute no-go the whole time we were there due to extreme avi risk. The second to last day the weather let up a little bit and you could see a massive, massive 8-10 ft crown extending across much of the ridge line.

The last day the afternoon snow report was reporting 24 inches in 24 hours.

Baker has fantastic terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Droogie
Advanced

Droogie
Advanced

BaZinGa
Advanced

WOW! Nice!
spydeeTJB
Intermediate

Awesome! Fingers crossed Vail gets anything close to that in 2 weeks.
teledave
Expert

That was bombdiggity!
Plans for 2015: To ski more than you
KneeDeep
Expert

Winner winner chicken dinner! I've always wanted to ski Mt. Baker.
boredtoo
Beginner

Sweet!
swamphox
Expert

Nice TR! I wanted to get out there even if it was in drought conditions. Stevens Pass had to close down due to too much. I think they got some insane amount like 66 inches in 2 days or something and it knocked their power out. Glad you got in on it.
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3