The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Skipink's Most Epic Snowshoe Summit TR 2011

Created to honor the most worthy of all Threads - These will remain locked for your reading enjoyment
caderader
Intermediate

epic Dracan; great reason to ride for another day or two :)
Dracan6
Expert
Tagline: Ready, set, see ya'!

Hey... Yah gotta do, what yah gotta do..:D
17-18 Just a wk at Breck. "Got Oxegen?" Is real!
Josh
Expert

Dracan, thanks for the shot, and that baked spaghetti looked bomber!

balkey: "Bo! follow me! we're going to dracula's room, we're going to dracula's room!"
mmmtaters
Advanced

@carvebeast 242567 wrote:these are all screenshots from vid so not the best quality, but you get the idea. one of the most fun park sessions i've had (in a monsoon no less) with old and new friends. only 2 i don't have shots of are musicmoves (he was too busy absolutely destroying the barrel feature, he deemed the entire session "barrel bonk bonanza"), and everyone's favorite skier jamsandwich who was busy ripping blacks in the infamous purple grimace nasa costume. i promise to get heavy footage of both this coming weekend!!

we'll start with the new friends. these two guys are lurking on here somewhere. start posting guys!! aj scraping out his first ever fs 5. :>)

a.j. fs 5 by thomas.c.ward7, on Flickr

zan with a buttery smooth boardslide to fakie on the barrel gap

zan boardslide by thomas.c.ward7, on Flickr

grizzlyenton visits tire country cole trickle style.

enton tire country by thomas.c.ward7, on Flickr

thekendog was killin it all weekend, starting to throw bs 3s like this one bigger and bigger (mega gaper action going down in the background).

kendog 3 by thomas.c.ward7, on Flickr

and a few of me going sam snead gaper steeze

wallride by thomas.c.ward7, on Flickr

barrel tail tap by thomas.c.ward7, on Flickr

starting to send these bad boys bigger and bigger. the ground is pretty far away: 12-15ft up i would guess (wish it was in frame).

backflip by thomas.c.ward7, on Flickr

good times.

Preview:

coolmojomushi
Beginner

I'm the middle guy BO! Had an awesome time, my first SS summit! Great to meet some of you peeps. Name is Robbie btw, and that Josh27292 /69 /420 / my cousin beside me. Been a lurker over a year now, so I'll try post more often:p

mmmtaters
Advanced

FRIDAY

Friday morning from our balcony at Rimfire

Jen, linkin' it up

Quick break

Connector hop at the Ballhooter/Flume crossing

Ken and I hit the park once he showed up in the afternoon... I don't have any pics, but I hope he will read this and post some of the video he managed to squeeze in... :)

Ken and Betsy on the way in to Rimfire, Friday, just before we set out for a Friday night ride at the Creek.

Sunset

SATURDAY

Early birds at The Junction

And that concludes my pics until we hit the hot tub after riding... there's a ton of video footy out there though.

Food and bev before the tub

After the tub, I became possessed... but with what...?

Headed to HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT'S!

What's better than a mullet...? A mullet pony tail, of course...

We snapped very few pics at Hoot's, but...

Gaper sighting

SUNDAY FIRST TRACKS

GrizzlyEnton
Advanced

fartbag and tall tee pics yes I am the best rider on the mountain.
josh27292
Beginner

@Balkey 242608 wrote:LOL... don't forget about Josh69 too Bo

Okay so who do I gota pay around here to change my name to Josh69.
Zeus
Expert

So how was the spaghetti bake?

Thanks for the polish vodka too guys. Good stuff...
adm1n
Intermediate

Hi guys and gals! I have had a whirlwind of a few days lately. First I want to say what a GREAT time I, my family, crew and the 150+/- friends had at Snowshoe Mountain this past weekend! A few days prior to the trip I have to admit that we were all keeping our game faces on about the weather; but as late as Thursday things were looking rainy as heck with most forecasters predicting rain, rain and more rain. Laura Parquette had updated us last Thursday, March 3rd with some insight that their mountain team sends her weather forecasts that are based with on-the-mountain influences and that they were predicting a nice day Friday, March 4th and that the rain would hold off til late on Saturday AND that there was a forecast for perhaps two inches of snow on Sunday.

Even the most positive of souls had to have looked at that post that was displayed on the messageboard with a bit of skepticism. I'll admit it NOW that I did as well. Their forecast was on-the-money and I have to tell you that we could not have had a better time and turnout for the 4th Annual SkiSoutheast.com Summit at Snowshoe Mountain. In the face of this crazy-stupid economy, gas prices that were hovering around $3.50 a gallon, and weather that looked more suited for TeleDave's recent kayaking adventures than for skiing and snowboarding - we had a crazy great turnout and an equally crazy-great time.

Friday we had a blast making turn after turn on the mountain with sunny, blue skies. There were some thinning slopes that I figured would be closing within a day or two...but coverage nonetheless. Most slopes and trails were covered with deep, heavy snow that definately works the heck out of your legs and hammies.

Saturday morning we did the breakfast buffet at The Junction and I only saw a few handfuls of people that we knew to be skiSoutheasters. However when we did the Saturday morning meet and greet at the top of Ballhooter, we saw the largest Saturday morning crowd ever! We had perhaps 40+ people meet up and then hit the mountain. I took a ton of video and even though it was a foggy day, we took a bunch of vids and I will share those with Kenny G pretty quickly and get those posted. Even though it was a misty fog at times I could not resist hanging out on the mountain as the conditions were better than Friday's with perfectly groomed trails all over the mountain. By midday the lines at the bottom of Ballhooter got a little busy, though still only 5-10 minutes. We headed over to more perfectly groomed slopes on the Western side of the mountain and Shays Revenge and Cupp Run. That side of the mountain was comparatively clear with no mist and - again - perfectly groomed conditions. Around 2:30pm or so it became that same, heavy snow that traffic creates on these milder days. It DID get colder as the day progressed but the rains did come in - in force!

While I turned in I DID hear from several people, including JefferyC, that several members rode the slopes til 5:30pm or so...in the rain...over at Silver Creek. It poured rain, accompanied by brisk and gusty wind that made for a tough time travelling. The crowd that showed up for the Apres Ski Party was certainly a bit smaller than some summits, but it was a great crowd and we had a blast. I don't have anything official, but I'd say we had 40-50 people come and hang out and socialize. I was definately enthused by the number of first-timers and new messageboard members that we had show up. Very cool.

Saturday night was a blur and we left Hoots at around 9:30pm and we heard that several people kept the party going and some took it over to the Big Top and Bull riding. Our crew did that Friday night!

It rained like nobody's business Saturday night as it woke me up several times during the night with wave after wave of heavy rain hitting the windows of our condo in the village. I got up around 6am Sunday to post some content and even referenced that those that showed up for First Tracks would be "carving the nasty" - a reference to what I figured would be rainy, wet snow with lots of bare spots. About the time I posted that update I headed out to meet up with what I figured would be a handful of people. As I headed out, it began to snow...hard. By the time we got over to Soaring Eagle it was really coming down and by the time Ed Galford, Laura Parquette and Dave Huber of Snowshoe showed up (8:15am or so) we already had some good, carvable snow on top of the groomed conditions that Snowshoe had worked on the slopes on that side of the mountain. Camp 99 was AWESOME and SO WAS the fact that we had perhaps 15-20 skiers on the mountain.

I hit it several times before and after first tracks ended and then headed to the mountains of North Carolina and home.

In closing - it was an AWESOME trip. I lost count of the number of people who came up to me and told me that this was their favorite ski trip - ever! For those that missed the trip, couldn't or didn't make it because of the weather...learn a lesson from the 150 or so who did. We made about as many turns on GOOD-TO-GREAT snow as you'd want to make; we had a blast on and off the slopes...and the weather was never really an issue except getting to and from your lodging to the parties Saturday night.

It was really - REALLY a blast and I want to express my thanks to Snowshoe for making us SUCH a great deal, and to those of you who spent your hard earned monies and your time to come and hang out with us. You guys are THE BOMB.

Mike