The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

TR: MassaWHAT? a VA/DC epic

Created to honor the most worthy of all Threads - These will remain locked for your reading enjoyment
EastCoaster
Expert

This TR is directly copied and pasted from TGR, FYI. EPIC weekend, unbelievable for the southeast. marzski, sorry I didn't catch you again today- I thought I would see you at the bottom, but never managed to spot you again. Kaputt, missed you as well. Hope you got some good turns in.

Ladies and gentlemen, a VA/DC epic:

For those of us in the Mid-Atlantic, we dream of storms like this. We accept that skiing in VA, NC, WV, and PA will never be what we experience out west, will always be full of groomed slopes and gapers in camo. Vacation and money are used to fly to westward, to seek the powder that compels so many of us to strap on a pair of skis.

This weekend, if only for a fleeting couple days, some of the turns felt like they could have been had in the cottonwoods, the tetons, or the rockies. For those of us in the southeast, this is as good as its ever going to get.

The Mission: Massanutten, approximately 1000 ft of sphincter tightening gnar in central VA, west of Harrisonburg nestled next to the Shenandoah valley. Tell me this isn't intimidating terrain:

The trail of the day was Diamond Jim, and though the patrol had managed to do their best to track it out, the still left some pow for the masses.

Kind of missed the shot, but as you can see the turn right before this moment was pretty good:

Not quite there yet...

Yeah, thats it:

Uh...where am I? This cannot be VA:

White smooooooke:

The next day I found a hill with AT LEAST 30 ft of vertical. At least. But its the mid-atlantic, so thats like 3,000 ft adjusted, right?

Ahhhhhh pow is so sweet:

Boot boot boot boot boot boot:

I blame StroupSkier for passing on instruction from Gordy to always keeping my hands high:

Cruisin:

SHREDDED:

Finally, we got back to DC and I couldn't resist tagging a spot I've been eyeing since we moved here: The Air Force Memorial. Here is what it looks like normally:

Well today, its getting poached. Booting up:

Gotta find those north facing slopes:

Comon, this had to happen. THE POINT:

CLAIMED IT, WASHINGTON MEMORIAL STYLE:

Not very many times you will ever be able to take a picture like this:

I will end this TR with a picture that perfectly captures the weekend. In a couple weeks, I will be going to the Cottonwoods. For a few brief moments, I felt like the Cottonwoods came to us:

Fin.
jbc28
Expert

EPIC!, indeed. Loving the DC claimage.
jbc28
Expert

Who was photoging? Tell me that you didn't go all Les Stroud on us.
EastCoaster
Expert

Photag was gf Sheri- she was awesome to follow me around with camera in hand for the past two days. HUDGE props to her.
daddygrace
Advanced

That ROCKS dude!!!!!!! GREAT TR!!!!!!!
Silence160
Beginner

That black/white DC pic is absolutely awesome. Great TR as usual.
Kaputt
Beginner

Damn, if only I could have made it up there Saturday. Awesome stuff man.

Did you end up skiing Mass today? I was looking for the green jacket, but never saw it. ParaDice and Diamond Jim were real nice in the morning.

Hopefully I'll see ya around again in the future.
Southern Skiing
Intermediate

Washington shot would be a great cover picture for a magazine or something reporting on the storm.
Sere81
Beginner

epic is an understatement
Ski Bunny
Advanced

Awesome pics! Amazing to have that kind of powder in the southeast. I love the DC pics!