The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

TR: Oregon

Created to honor the most worthy of all Threads - These will remain locked for your reading enjoyment
porter
Advanced

@davidski 195438 wrote:

If you ever have the inclination, post some pics of your average nightly set-up and some tips for happy cold weather car camping -- you are an expert and how you set up in remote areas would be great guidelines for us who would like to try it more in easier places or to step our game up

When you choose your routes for each day how random is it -- are you thoroughly equipped with topos and pre-planning -- are you experienced enough now to wing it according to how you read the mountain -- do you always have an idea of your descent or do you make educated guesses and backtrack if you've missed it?

Oh yeah -- since I'm inundating you with questions anyway -- what set up and gear are you skiing with now?

Setup: Scarpa T2X (new), Black Diamond O2 midstiffs (new), Black Diamond Crossbows, Black Diamond skins (new), Black Diamond flintlock poles

Planning: depends, but not a whole lot for this trip as I had little advance warning. I knew the general areas I wanted to ski and just drove up to the likely trailhead and started looking around. I did more indepth research using topos and trip reports on other trips. I've been backcountry skiiing now for about 18 years so I've got a fair idea of what is going on.

Camping: pretty simple. Headlamp, water bottle, sleeping pad, thermals, minus-20 rated down bag, book. I sleep in the car -- now I sleep in the back of the truck, which has a fiberglass top on it. When I rented cars I always got one that was an SUV or station wagon with fold-flat rear seats. I could do a tent but setting up/taking down often in the dark and cold is not really appealing. Also, being in the car gives you a lot of leverage just to turn the engine on and drive off if it turns out you are parked in a bad spot (ie lights, traffic, weirdos, etc.)

Another thing: park where you can easily get out. I like to park for the night headed in the direction I'll be going in the morning, thinking that way I'm less likely to get stuck in the morning if it snows or if other people come in and perhaps block my exit. I also try for a balance of remoteness with convenience. Some places in Bend I looked at seemed too far away, and if something weird happened (like I locked the keys in the car) I wanted to be close to get help.

I'll try to post photos at some point.
pagamony
Advanced

refreshing report.

i just knew you would end up in misoula.

don't forget the p bottle