The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Shavers Centre Campout

Created to honor the most worthy of all Threads - These will remain locked for your reading enjoyment
jmoney
Beginner

@jeffryc 163981 wrote:They shall remain anonymous unless they chose to reveal their secret identities.

ah, I see how it is....that's no fun. boo.
teledave
Expert

They are both in the federal witness protection program, if we told you who they are we'd have to kill you.
Plans for 2015: To ski more than you
jmoney
Beginner

well shiz! maybe a little birdie will tell me in due time....
hnhbaxter
Expert
Tagline: Old School Hall Monitor

Placing post number 3,000 here in a soon to be hall of fame thread
If you want big air out of me, pull my finger
StealthBoarder
Expert

hmmm....I wonder :confused:

jmoney;163976 wrote:
who is the guy in the mtn hardware jacket? and

the one next to him in the helmet? just curious, TIA.

2slikstix
Expert
Tagline: Tree Whore

I can tell you that the third guy is " the dirty Hippie"
"You mean there is Two of them??"
"it's about 10 very heavy inches. I can drive it but it sure will be slow"
2slikstix
Expert
Tagline: Tree Whore

And I think the Captain rocks the recons well. they Match his suit.
"You mean there is Two of them??"
"it's about 10 very heavy inches. I can drive it but it sure will be slow"
SkiCop
Expert

jmoney, if we told you who the Mountain Hardware man is your boyfriend would be most unhappy and you might be "SHOCKED."
BaZinGa
Advanced

Sensing that Friday would be the better day to ski and armed with 2 Kroger receipts, bfeller & I headed up early. We left Raleighwood at 5:30am and still made it to teh Shoe in 6 hours even though Garmin let me miss my normal turn in Danville, but a little excursion through Lynchburg didn't really cost us any time. The drive up was pretty good and the roads were good most of the way. I did have one slide through a turn on 219, but since I had seen Fast & Furious Tokyo Drift the night before I was well prepared to drift through the turn :D Arriving early we weren't able to pick up our packets for a few hours, so onto Top of the World for parking.

While getting our gear together to hit the slopes bfeller was reminded of his last trip to teh Shoe:

I think these guys are set to come get ya if you need them:

Riding up Soaring Eagle lift there appears to be some nice pow below the lift:

Too bad there wasn't much base below the lift => cruized through a little fast the first time and had a nice double eject... no pics (that I know of) but plenty of happy spectators on the lift... I aim to please:

Looking back down Soaring Eagle at Shavers Lake:

Upper Ballhooter was looking good:

bfeller making Ballhooter his beeotch:

We had some NICE runs over at Silver Creek (note you have to get over there around 4pm to get any runs on the blacks and it's 2 lift rides to get over there too) - we got 2 AWESOME runs on Flying Eagle before they pulled the ropes:

Setting sun hitting the hills behind Silver Creek Lodge:

We lapped the blues all night and kept missing the rest of the SkiNC crew until we grabbed the same shuttle back to the village. The others headed to dinner and we caught another bus to Top of the World to get the truck and move it to the Shaver Center parking lot. Then we claimed some floor space in the Shaver Center and hit Split Rocks for the hot tub before dinner. Had dinner at Cheat Mountain pizza which was goooood... or I was just hungry!

Saturday morning started toooo early of course, but was looking like a good day to ski. I don't recall who got my hopes up about the ropes dropping at 8:30am, but they do NOT... the ropes drop at 9am and some times a few minutes after... anyways, first tracks down were alot firmer than I had expected but good either way! In the sprint down to the Ballhooter though I managed to loose everyone except bfeller and we didn't see them again until noon... lol.

I was a little worried when I got to the Ballhooter lift since I try to avoid weekend crowds and it looked like they were getting prepared for the fair to arrive:

Luckily the lift line never really got longer than a few minutes and that was only when they had to stop the lift a few times...

We made it back over to Flying Eagle and someone had poached the goods on the closed Widowmaker:

Sawmill was good all morning:

bfeller getting some sawmill:

bfeller with the face shot ;) on Camp 99:

We headed over to Cupp around noon to find the least crowded place to eat when the rain started. Of course great minds think alike so we ended up finding half of the SkiNC crew at the bottom of Cupp trying to wait out the rain in one of Snowshoe's many fine dinning establishments.

As it has been said a few times already: the rain set in and the only thing left to look forward to was the Backhut dinner... and boy was it worth looking forward to! The whole dinner experience from the ride there and back to the amazing food to the amazing staff was truly a wonderful experience. I opted for comfy riding in the van (especially for the ride back), but did get one foggy pic of the ambulance when we got back to the Shaver Center:

The sleeping arrangements for Saturday night were a bit more trying than those for the night before, but looking back I'm not going to let that ruin the experiences I had on my first SkiNC trip. It was a great trip and I'll ride any day with any of the Bama/ GA crew or even those FLidiots! Awww heck, yawl know I'll ride with anybody that wants to carpool...

Many thanks to Laura, Sonny & teh Shoe for putting this event together... with SkiNC on the advising committee the next event will be bomber!
Bronco
Expert

Sorry I didn't get to make more turns with you Drew. Yeah, you guys took off before I could get strapped in. Before I knew it, you guys were gone. I still say that you missed one hell of a ride in the back of the ambulance. It was one of the funnest times I had all weekend. The Back Country Hut dinner experience is without a doubt the best value @ The Shoe. The drive there, the dinner, the service, the views from the front porch with drink in hand, and just whole experience is A-1 in my book.