The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Shavers Centre Campout

Created to honor the most worthy of all Threads - These will remain locked for your reading enjoyment
hnhbaxter
Expert
Tagline: Old School Hall Monitor

My 2 cents worth...

Rolled up to Atl on Thursday. Friday morning JeffryC and I headed north. THis was what the drive up to the shoe looked like, most promising...

Met the crew in the parking lot which served as our base camp/changing room/bar/etc. A great security guy kept watch over all our gear. I forgot to get his name but he was good stuff. He talked our ear off whenever possible

The crew Friday afternoon, Too many faces to list, there were 18 in all.

The Friday night laps at Silver Creek were bomber. I have no pictures due to the lighting but none the less it was a great time. The snow was great quality and the rekindled friendships even better

On to the Shaver Center....not much to say beyond what you already read in other posts

Who is the fashion bomb in the middle...HAW

Last shot of the crew...Many folks were cycling in and out to the cars/bar/locker

The morning sky was beautiful but as the old saying goes "red sky in morning sailor take warning"

The morning was spent making laps on the Soaring Eagle chair. JB has the pictures (see above). By 12 the day turned into a downpour. The crew spent time at the bottom of Cup and in the lodge. Check out all the happy faces

WV Hillbilly fashion was in full effect at the shoe

Dinner at the lodge in the woods was fantastic. I was supplied with great food, good conversation and liquid lubrication for the mouth and soul

The lodge is located deep in the woods at the end of a one lane dirt road which was covered in snow. We rode in an old army ambulance outfitted for such an adventure. The ride back up the trail was a constant laugh

Sunday morning JeffryC and I stayed to ski Silver Creek under the flying eagle chair (I think thats what it is called). The rain was gone, the guns were howling and we had solo use of the chair and trails for most of the morning. It was not pow but it was really good.

JeffryC photo****ting

On the way out we caught a picture of this sign...Oh if it were only true

Not much else to say other than thank you to the entire staff at Snowshoe for making this an epic adventure and to all my friends at SkiNC for the fellowship and laughter
If you want big air out of me, pull my finger
EastCoaster
Expert

Who's the midget?
bfeller
Intermediate

NCSUsKING getting ready for a few warm up laps

A few shots of Ballhooter - apparently I have a near fatal attraction to this run.... I still like upper and lower Ballhooter. The combo drops you into the base of the Ballhooter lift on the side with the shortest line.

I fell on my tail for the first run and had clean runs on it after that fail.

PS - That is not me walking around the hill...everyone knows that I'm either going down Ballhooter on my skis or in the sled. :o

The Shoe has a good base laid down on virtually everything that was open.

BTW - that was not me lying on the side of the trail. I only do that on the Hooter.

After a few laps of Ballhooter we headed over to the Western Territory. The first run involved a bit if skiing through the snowguns. For the rest of the runs a slight shift in wind kept the snow to the rightside, leaving the left of the run with a clear view.

Bfeller getting ready to finish out the Cupp Run

Early in the evening at Silver Creek

Nighttime Lift Ride at Silver Creek

Nighttime Lift Shack

Suprise - guess where your sleeping tonight!

Asleep in the bar....

Really - were not boring you are we?

OK - so those last two were actually Saturday night after what was a long two days for the Bama crew and friends.

Those of us that were awake - or not visiting the locals finest at the SS Inn got to see and hear these boys play some pretty good Bluegrass. These guys had to be the best band I've heard at Snowshoe - Snowshoe needs to book them for the night of the Summit. Really. I believe they were the Piney Mountain Boys.

bfeller
Intermediate

EastCoaster;163964 wrote:

Who's the midget?

Either Peter Pan or Captain Morgan - depending upon the pose. All we can say for sure is that men in tights - can get beer at The Moonshine.

Dave was our parking lot Security Guard.
jmoney
Beginner

who is the guy in the mtn hardware jacket? and the one next to him in the helmet? just curious, TIA.
jeffryc
Expert

@jmoney 163976 wrote:who is the guy in the mtn hardware jacket? and the one next to him in the helmet? just curious, TIA.

They shall remain anonymous unless they chose to reveal their secret identities.
EastCoaster
Expert

First rule of Mountain Hardware man: Dont talk about Mountain Hardware man.

Second rule of Mountain Hardware man: Don't talk about Mountain Hardware man.
jeffryc
Expert

Hey Rob- we gonna see you in Utah in February??
EastCoaster
Expert

jeffryc;163985 wrote:
Hey Rob- we gonna see you in Utah in February??

Of course. Hoping to ski 2/6-2/15
teledave
Expert

EastCoaster;163982 wrote:
First rule of Mountain Hardware man: Dont talk about Mountain Hardware man.

Second rule of Mountain Hardware man: Don't talk about Mountain Hardware man.

Third rule of the Mountain Hardware man: Sexual Orientation -UNKNOWN
Plans for 2015: To ski more than you