The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Shavers Centre Campout

Created to honor the most worthy of all Threads - These will remain locked for your reading enjoyment
OhDrinkBoy
Expert

Shame you don't have a picture of Mellow dancing in the window!
StealthBoarder
Expert

I worked my way up on difficulty. Camp 99 and Sawmill were easy enough so we went over to Cupp Run. I had only went half way down this trail before as I started down Upper Shays last year. Boy did I love going down it this time. At first I thought it was a bit challenging and didn't really want to go down it again but it just got easier and easier for me and when I got to the bottom I was ready to go back up and do it again...And then the rain came :mad:

I'm either getting better or the trails were just too easy. :confused:
Mellow Yellow
Advanced

OhDrinkBoy;163824 wrote:
Shame you don't have a picture of Mellow dancing in the window!

nothing to see here... move along.....
jeffryc
Expert

Well put Blake!! And some awesome photos. I'd like to add a little Sunday addendum. hnhbaxter, Mellow Yellow and I got up Sunday morning and headed over to Silvercreek. Breakfast at Silvercreek is the best kept secret on the mountain. 2 eggs cooked to order, sausage(not steamed) or bacon, hashbrowns, & 3 pancakes for $8.99! We were stuffed. After breakfast we headed out to the slopes. Mellow decided the slopes were a bit on the extra crispy side for carving so we bid him good bye and went skiing. We found some rather nice powder under the Flying Eagle lift as the guns had been running for a while. We made a number of runs on Flying Eagle and Bear Claw. The guns were off everywhere else so the other runs were crusty corduroy with a little powder on top. We skied for a couple of hours on an all but deserted mountain. While the conditions were less than perfect, being able to make run after run while seeing no tracks but ours on Flying Eagle made it well worth it. About midday, we packed it in and headed south after a memorable weekend "camping" at Snowshoe. My thanks to everyone at Snowshoe who helped make this happen. Oh, and the Split Rock Pools were wonderful!!! A nice shower, followed by a Hot Tub Club meeting, followed by another shower, got me prepared for the Back Country Hut dinner to die for!
OhDrinkBoy
Expert

Mellow Yellow;163826 wrote:
nothing to see here... move along.....

Unfortunately true....
bfeller
Intermediate

The background information from Laura about SS and the campout was really nice.

This has to be the first TR to include an interview.
Bronco
Expert

bfeller;163850 wrote:
The background information from Laura about SS and the campout was really nice.

This has to be the first TR to include an interview.

Actually no. jbc did an interview with Chris( GM of Cataloochee) for his Can-u-Ski event @ Cat TR.
bfeller
Intermediate

Bronco Boarder;163854 wrote:
Actually no. jbc did an interview with Chris( GM of Cataloochee) for his Can-u-Ski event @ Cat TR.

Yep- that's right. I remember it now - it mentioned how they (CataLoochee) decided upon it as a way to help the local charities stock up the food pantry before the holidays.
jbc28
Expert

Did anyone get any pics from inside of the Shavers Centre? I got a few, but I inadvertently deleted them when I decided to reformat my memory card....a total JONG move.

Brett, you have some right?
bfeller
Intermediate

jbc28;163861 wrote:
Did anyone get any pics from inside of the Shavers Centre? I got a few, but I inadvertently deleted them when I decided to reformat my memory card....a total JONG move.

Brett, you have some right?

Oh yeah - I have the couple that you took with my camera - plus one or two that I took. Some may have been may have actually been posted in the earlier part of the thread. I can send them to you - pm me an address. I have to boo to a 2 hour meeting - then it's home.