The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

TR: Wa., B.C., Alta., Mt, Id, and Wa., again

Created to honor the most worthy of all Threads - These will remain locked for your reading enjoyment
pagamony
Advanced

Wow, just wow. Archive this thread.

Some postcard pictures as well, looks like zugspitz in one of them.

Except for the first day and the twilight lake run, it sounds like nearly all your work was lift-served, or did I misread? If so, was that intentional or lack of known terrain?

thanks for sharing.
Freeheel Tarheel
Intermediate

I am totally impressed. Killer photos!
porter
Advanced

I did ski Lightning at Discovery, but D. had a mere 36-inch base --- granted, the best 36 inch coverage I've ever seen, but stuff still shone through. I made a few runs at Lightning but felt the powder-on-groomers elsewhere was better.

BC days included: Sherman Pass, Rogers Pass, night run at Georgetown.

Lift-assisted BC included Whitewater and Lookout Pass.

I had thought about BC in West Glacier but could not pull together enough information on it in time. Also had considered Kootenay Pass, but skipped it in the excitement of the moment on Day 3 and then when I came back around to Fernie it seemed like too much of a detour. I also decided against BC in the Fernie area because the snow surfaced seemed to be a bit crusted and wind blown. Same goes for possible BC in the Castle Mountain area, which has a lot of accessible terrain. Also, I decided against BC on Bow Summit and Sunwapta Pass in Banff because it would have meant one or two nights in a motel (camping in the park I was told was tightly regulated).

There would have been more afternoon runs, you know, ski at an area then pack it up and drive a short ways to a BC area -- there was a great shot in Yoho Park in BC, for instance, on the way from Louise to Kimberly -- but part of the problem is that far north, after a day of skiing, the sun is practically set. At Rogers Pass, it was nearly dark at 4.30, which did not leave much time for two-a-days.
Tmiller72
Expert

Porter's trip reports are the best!!
2019-20

Beech: 10
Snowshoe: 3
Alta: 2
Brighton: 1
Solitude: 1
Jackson Hole: 2
admin

i want to hear more of what you thought about discovery basin.....

how was the coverage......how was the limelight area.....I love that place......we grilled it up there and had rock star parking to boot.....

met a bunch of locals ....followed them around.....even though its not an exceedingly large place.....the terrain is hella fun and you can rack up some runs there.....quick

granite was not open when I was there last time....comments please :D

awesome tr
porter
Advanced

The Limelight area is ringed by large signs saying that it is "true" double diamond terrain, that a fall can be fatal, and that a high level of skiing expertise is needed. There are about 15 runs, all but two of which are rated double diamond -- one is a single diamond ridge run, the other is an intermediate cruiser with some moguls. Personally, I found the double diamond terrain to be steep but not more steep than expert terrain is at most larger mountains. I did not see any cliffs, though there were exposed rocks. The terrain is steep, but with the new snow it was definitely something I could handle. The chair serving the area came used from somewhere else.

Coverage was excellent, and all runs were well covered. Discovery had the best looking 36-inch base that I've seen outside of Colorado, where they seem to have worked hard to remove obstacles that would make a run unskiable or sketchy on low snow. This comes despite the fact that most of Discovery is south facing. This area is known for its cold temps and that likely has a lot to do with it. I joked with the coffee lady in the morning that it looked like it would be a nice day -- it might even get above zero. Her reply? "Around here, zero is toasty."

Much of Discovery is gentle terrain -- in fact, with the new snow, some of the green runs were too flat to ever get any speed on.

I liked the area because in large part I like smaller, out of the way areas. This area is more midsized, though it is isolated. Most skiers seem to come from Anaconda or or Butte. As far as accomdations go there are rental cabins below the base area and a b and b in Phillipsburg. There is a bar restaurant away from the base and a few cafe-type places in Phillipsburg. I did not go to Anaconda this time, but have been there before. It is a down at heels mining town with all services, though the quality seems to be somewhat questionnable.
admin

the guys who own discovery....

his family also owns wolf creek co
ski11
Intermediate

Great TR porter probably one of the best i've ever seen on here. Amazing.
angel
Advanced

But what kind of sandwiches???? :)

Seriously, great TR! The photos are better than the magazines! In fact, Porter,maybe you ought to submit this report to one!!

I bow down!
MrMinor
Beginner

That was enjoyable to read. That seems bold to tackle such a trip solo.

You must love you some beer and sandwiches.

This sounds like a TGR TR not a SkiNC!

Thanks for sharing!