The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

How do I get my kids interested in skiing?

This is the place to post - Non ski-related chit chat, G rated

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean!)
winepancakes
Tagline: What do Alexander the Great and Winnie the Pooh have in common? Same middle name.

I’m lucky enough to be in a position to travel the world and explore the best slopes in numerous countries. I got hooked on skiing as a kid thanks to my dad, who always encouraged my brother and me to go out and “live life” instead of staying cooped up inside next to a TV or playing computer games. In retrospect, I’m very grateful that he insisted on that, even though I hated it at the time.

Anyway, fast forward some 20 years later, and I’ve enjoyed my life far more than I think I would have if I’d have had it my way. I try to teach my kids the same, but the challenges I face aren’t the same ones as those of my dad’s. We didn’t have smartphones or access to instant information when I was growing up, which today’s kids do. I try as hard as I can to get them to go out and pick up an interest in anything really, not necessarily skiing, but to no avail. The other day I even found a gambling link on my older one’s iPhone (https://www.wild-card-city.com/). They are far too young to have access to that sort of stuff, so I’m in need of some advice as I don’t know what I’ve done wrong. How do you cope with the same challenges? Is anyone else struggling to get their kids out of the house??
bamapilot
Expert

I think that’s just life now. Always try to keep mine involved in youth sports, but 2 years ago even that was taken away from them for some time. And restarting it was difficult with my middle child. But like you said, you didn’t appreciate it when you were a kid, your kids now will also not appreciate it. To some extent you have to force them out of the house and out of their comfort zone. Be sure to dress them properly when going outside. If they are miserable cold, they aren’t likely to return. I know with my middle kid, he doesn’t want to go do anything, he’s 12, but once we are there he has a great time and gets involved. But to ask him to go, he’d say no and stay on the Xbox.

So like your dad did with you, sometimes you just have to tell them their going, it’s time to go experience something new. They may fuss and complain to start, but once in it, they will enjoy it. Pay attention to what they do really enjoy and reinforce it. Include their friends as well.

We have a camper, we allow the kids to take their iPads and Nintendo Switch, but limit their use of it. They have actually told us they prefer when we don’t allow them to use the devices because it makes them get out and do stuff. But if we don’t take it away, they will stay on them all day, because just like 99% of us, they don’t have the discipline to put them down on their on.
marzski
Advanced

How old are the kids? Tweens or teens?

My daughter is finishing college. Wasn't quite as hard to keep her off of screens when she was in elementary school since that was before everyone and their grandmother had a smartphone.

Did you take the kids skiing last season? What time of year?

Doesn't apply in the winter, but I opted to invest in a summer camp in the NC mountains that was purely traditional. No personal electronics allowed. It's been around for 100+ years. My daughter loved it and went for five summers.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
swamphox
Expert

take them. it may not be their thing. and thats ok. but yall owe it to each other to try it once and go from there. a first day on skis is good, a second is better....
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3
Old Fart
Beginner

Get your oldest one started gambling on the World Cup races. He'll be interested in skiing then.
philipwicker
Beginner

Me and my wife both snowboard. It was a no brainer that when we had kids we would strap them in as early as possible. We have 3 kids now, ages 5, 8, and 10. I had all of them on the slopes very early...around age 3. I guess I sort of brainwashed them into the sport so they don't know any better LOL.
MSDOG
Expert

Make them get on a snowboard. Then they will interested in skiing.