The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Things to do in Beech

This is the place to post - Non ski-related chit chat, G rated

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean!)
Aasnider
Beginner

The Mrs. and I are heading up to Beech this weekend without kids! What's the inside scoop on where to eat/ drink and what to do in Beech when there is no snow? We're probably going to take in the Woolly Worm Festival down in BE on Saturday since we haven't been before, but other than that we plan to stay up on Beech. We have family in the area, but have never stayed on Beech. We're trying out the Pinnacle Inn. Thanks in advance.
davidski
Expert

Can't help as much as others with the non ski activities -- I would think taking a lift ride up to the excellent bar at top for micro brew and an amazing view.

I have often wondered about the pinnacle inn, if you have time would you let us know what your stay there was like, maybe even pics of the rooms
Aasnider
Beginner

davidski wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:01 am Can't help as much as others with the non ski activities -- I would think taking a lift ride up to the excellent bar at top for micro brew and an amazing view.

I have often wondered about the pinnacle inn, if you have time would you let us know what your stay there was like, maybe even pics of the rooms
Yeah we will definitely be checking out the brewery and such, we will try out a restaurant or two and post up to let you know what we thought.
Yeah I have eyed the Pinnacle Inn for some time now and have seen mixed reviews. Most of them seemed to complain about the room, so I made sure to pick one that looked updated and clean. We are staying in a "Ski Suite" which should be more than enough room for two people of a family of four to crash for a couple of nights, especially if you are going to be out all day anyway, all you need is a place to eat and crash. The only cons so far are that they have a two night minimum, which isn't a bad thing, but kills the cost saving; and that the listed rates aren't really accurate after they throw on some cleaning fees, a booking fee, and a non refundable security deposit. It was right at $270 for 2 nights, which isn't terrible considering that a nice hotel in Boone would have ran over $300 for the weekend.
I will let you know how it is.
swamphox
Expert

The walls are thin at Beech Alpen Inn just so u know. We stayed there once and the people next to us were vigorously engaged in prayer until the small hours of the morning.
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3
brigand
Beginner

I think they canceled the Wooly Worm festival.
Aasnider
Beginner

The festival is canceled. My wife and I did the same thing on the same weekend about 2 years ago. Pinnacle was fairly nice, we got one of the higher rated star ski suites and it was plenty of room for 2 and really nice. Check ahead as when we went the Beech brewery And sky bar wasn’t open for whatever reason. We actually ended up at the pizza place there in Beech across from the sledding hill both nights we were there. You can walk to it from pinnacle in less than five minutes. Good food and a wall full of beer options within walking distance to where we stayed was perfect. We had spent Saturday going to the festival and then went over to Valle Crucis to go to Mast and check out the park and all over there. We stopped at the various gear shops and shopped around for some of the last season discounted gear as well. Was a good relaxing weekend, the kids would have been bored out of ski season though.