The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Total Eclipse-- Who's watching it, where?

This is the place to post - Non ski-related chit chat, G rated

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean!)
davidski
Expert

I intend to drive 4 hours to southwestern NC with one son, set up chairs to watch the sun disappear on my sisters lawn, if her dozen dogs don't go feral and eat us all during the event I will then spend 16 hours driving home thru record breaking gridlock, to be at the job site in time for a total viewing of the rising sun.

And I'm placing all these bets on a "partly cloudy" forecast

I can't wait
Ski Bunny
Advanced

I am watching at Lake Murray. We are supposed to have 2 minutes 36 seconds of totality, so with an unobstructed view on the lake, it should be awesome as long as afternoon thunderstorms hold off. With 600,000+ visitors expected in Columbia, there was no way I was staying in town.
skipanther
Advanced

How dark did it get in those locales,I was in Gastonia (98% supposedly) and looked like it might of been dark enough for some rain but that's it!
Ski Bunny
Advanced

The weather was perfect for viewing. It wasn't black dark, but was more like it is when there is a full moon. It was dark enough that lights came on around the lake and boats had to turn on their lights. I have to say that experiencing a total eclipse definitely lived up to the hype. It was amazing!
mondaylady
Beginner

There's supposed to be another one in Feb 2024 that is supposed to cover more real estate. I currently live in Missouri and it will be 100 miles or so to the south, so I'll probably have to rent a room.
I saw the one in 2017. Where I live we were about 10 blocks north of totality, so it stayed over us for about a minute. I think everybody should at least have a chance to see one.