The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Making My Own Snow

This is the place to post - Non ski-related chit chat, G rated

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean!)
Aasnider
Beginner

More pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aasnider
Beginner

Last one
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TSI
Beginner

Nice work! When it gets down into the low 20's and you can start making it the night before it will really lay it down, that is some good snow for marginal temps. We've always had snow at Christmas if it's cold enough, the kids love it!
18/19
Beech Mtn 1
billh1970
Beginner

Impressive pictures! Thanks for sharing, and I'm inspired by what's possible.
After pondering for a while I took the jump on Friday and bought a $100 compressor after studying the free plans at
http://www.snsnowmaking.com/2011/

Are the external mixing designs that much more efficient? The internal mixing design doesn't seem very difficult to build and was wondering if I should start with that, and consider trying the external design later?
Aasnider
Beginner

TSI-
Yeah I think I need some consistently cooler temps to really get it to build up, it seemed to melt on contact before it started to stick. My daughter loved it! She is 1.5 and while she saw snow last year I doubt she remembered it so it was reassuring to see that she enjoyed herself in it. And I also was able to prove to my wife that all the noise made by the gun, pressure washer, and air compressor was not enough to wake her up in the middle of the night! What type of compressors do you use? I'm going to have to update mine as I had to babysit it during the process. and have been looking at a harbor freight one, but am thinking if I went with a bigger one I could run 2 guns off of it. I need to check my flow in gpm from my well pump but think it can handle 2 guns, plus once I have a bigger compressor I won't nessecarily need another one in the future!

Billh1970-
I have already done some research compressor wise and that one (I'm guessing harbor freight) is on my Christmas list for this year (unless I find/ decide on a bigger one so I can run 2 guns at once). It basically the same compressor I have as far as capacity and size except mine is from the 70s and blew the breaker to my house 4 different times this morning because the electric motor would sometimes bog down. One of the main main reasons for going external was simply because I did not want to kill a compressor. If for any reason you loose air pressure all that water (1500+ PSI) will go shooting into your compressor and destroy it. There is always check valves but ultimately I want to be able to set it up in the evening and just check it every 30 minutes or so until morning. You will have to ask TSI about the efficiency and ability to make snow at more marginal temps with an internal vs external mix. I kind of decided just to go all in and not waste money on an internal knowing ultimately I was going to want an external, but that's just me.

Killglobalwarmingnow-
As for the JB Weld: The air line and the water line need to intersect precisely at what is known as the nucleation nozzle. The reasoning is explained here: http://www.snowathome.com/snowmaking_science.php . As TSI mentioned he made his of galvanized pipe and was able to weld the air output just above the nuk, mine was brass so I did not have that ability. I am almost always on here via my phone but will try to sit down on a computer tonight and compose a how to related to this topic. I'll probably post it as a new thread as this one is already on page 3 and will be a pain to dig though to find the actual construction.
afrobigfoot
Expert

That's pretty awesome.
billh1970
Beginner

Aasnider-
Thanks for the feedback on the on the check valves and external mixing. I wonder if a check valve could easily freeze in the open position and not work when needed, and that's another reason to go with the external mixing. Yes the compressor I bought is from Harbor Freight and the recommended as acceptable on the snow making webpage. Glad to see how you put together the external mixing design.
TSI
Beginner

image.jpeg
I've tried both guns allways had better results with external Nuk, that's where the snow crystal starts. I use 2 upright 60 gallon compressors, since I run 3-4 guns at a time, they don't work that hard keeping up with 12-16 CFM,
18/19
Beech Mtn 1
Aasnider
Beginner

Wow those are some real compressors there. I want to make more snow in less time and have done some research and it seems that this style of gun that you use and I just made is the most cost effective. Even if I have to get 2 compressors to run 3 guns and 3 seperate pressure washers, it still comes out significantly cheaper and easier than making a single gun that will spit 5 to 6 gpm. I am thinking I will make 2 more guns over the next year or so. If I get 2 more pressure washers and 2 of the harbor freight compressors I think that will accomplish what I want. The only issue I will have then is having to run drop cords so that I don't blow the breakers to any of my outlets with that many things running at once. I still need to check my well pumps GPM flow, I can always bring in water as I stated earlier in this thread. I made a write up on how to make the gun. Not sure if it is 100% complete or all that clear, but it's something...
Aasnider
Beginner

I tested the water flow on one of my outdoor spigots. It took roughly 12.5 seconds to fill a gallon with water (already turned on full flow, put gallon under and timed fill). That means I can push about 4.8 gpm, which should be enough to run 3 guns simultaneously! As long as no one needs to flush a toilet anyway! I need to start collecting pressure washers and air compressors! Now I'll have something to do all winter when I can't make it to the slopes!