The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Prayers for Roy Mercer

This is the place to post - Non ski-related chit chat, G rated

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean!)
swamphox
Expert

He had a heart attack. Surgery tomorrow at 630 am.
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3
spydeeTJB
Intermediate

Come on Roy, you can do this!
swamphox
Expert

He's through the surgery and is doing as well as can be expected. Continued prayers are appreciated
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3
davidski
Expert

Sorry to hear it man... thinking of you, get well I want to see you next season on the slopes
Ski Bunny
Advanced

Prayers and best wishes for a full recovery!
beeesmitty
Beginner
Tagline: I heard you know Bofa

Scary. Get better!
codyblank
Expert
Tagline: A place where the beer flows like wine.

++++Vibes. Get well soon!
Think snowmaking temps.
ROYMERCER
Intermediate

Thanks for the thoughts , prayers and good vibes sent my way. At 56 I learned a valuable lesson concerning our health. When your body tries to tell you something listen. I had hurt my back earlier this year cutting down some trees and splitting wood. I had not been in the gym in a few weeks and started back a bit of cardio. I would go about 9-10 minutes and feel a lot of pressure and pain in my chest. I figured it was my body getting even with me for the layoff. On June 23rd I went 45 minutes on the treadmill jogging and walking off and on. My wife made us a taco salad for dinner and around 9 that night I started feeling horrible heartburn or so I thought. It was actually my first heart attack. I sat up until after midnight and could not get it to ease up. I woke up at 3 am to get ready to open up my DC That I manage and felt it again. I knew I had 110 people waiting on me and went on in and opened up. I was so off my game . Many signals, did not touch my morning cup of coffee and just didn't feel right. My boss came in and told me to go to the hospital a mile or so down the road. When I pulled up I nearly left as I had taken a heartburn tablet at work and felt a little better. My guardian angel nurse walked by as I got out of my truck asked if I was ok and I said yes just a little heartburn. Well long story short in less than 24 hours I had quadruple bypass open heart surgery and was home 4 days later. I will be back better than ever come ski season. Moral of my story. LISTEN to your body . Go to the doctor. In closing, make sure and tell your loved ones how much you love them daily. You never know when it could be your last. I plan on being back at the summit this year!
2020-2021 days skiing
CAT= 2
APP=
WOLF=
MASSANUTTEN=
TIMBERLINE=
CANAAN VALLEY=
SAPPHIRE=1
davidski
Expert

Hey thanks for sharing the details of that, it's useful to know how it happened and what you went through, the steps and signs... thanks and glad you are past it although I know you still have a lot of recovery ahead...

A Roy Mercer Invitational sometime at at a ski resort somewhere next season? keep on getting well
spydeeTJB
Intermediate

Roy good to hear ya and thanks for the life lesson/reminder. I'm making a doc appt tomorrow just because. Look forward to seeing you on the snow!