The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Made a snowgun yesterday

This is the place to post - Non ski-related chit chat, G rated

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean!)
2slikstix
Expert
Tagline: Tree Whore

I ordered a nozzle kit from the snow at home website for 49$ Plumbed it up myself....real simple. next week ought to be great for cranking out some snow.
"You mean there is Two of them??"
"it's about 10 very heavy inches. I can drive it but it sure will be slow"
salutethehill
Beginner

The one we built totaled $60 including shipping. I contemplated the SnowatHome nozzles, but these were much cheaper. If they stink, I'll grab the SAH ones.
thefirewarde
Beginner

Aside from some grinding to remove part numbers, your nozzles are identical to SnowAtHome nozzles, so no worries there.

Right now I run a 4004 and a 25025 bulk, but nozzle choice changes depending on conditions. Past nozzles include 1502, 15025,1503, 25025, 2503, 4003, 4004, 4006, and "tweaked" nozzles (dremeled to widen spray pattern). In marginal conditions I try to keep the flow numbers between 5.5 and 6.5 (the 40XX means 40 degree spray pattern and the XX is nozzle GPM in tenths at 40 PSI, so a 4004 flows .4 GPM at 40 PSI.). I have a 2.2 GPM pressure washer currently. Target operating pressure is 500 PSI, unless it's below 25 ambient or 20 wetbulb and I have a nice tall tower.

You'll probably want to modify your nuc nozzle (at the bottom) at some point, because a 25 degree spray pattern on 40 degree bulks is going to leave you with wet edges. If you find that's a problem, you can try a 6005 or an 8005, or take a dremel/hacksaw to a smaller, narrower nozzle, or drill and grind a nozzle out of a pipe cap. Put a slot over the hole to widen the spray.

My rig (which I hope to get pictures of and give its own thread one of these days) works reasonably well, provided I set it up right. That hasn't happened yet this year, but I got nearly a foot of snow in places after six hours' running last season. Differences from yours include using a gate valve instead of a ball valve for finer control over the nuc mix, only two bulk nozzles, and garden hose threaded 5/8'' airline.
salutethehill
Beginner

Tried it out this morning. Good temps, high humidity. Ran it for just under an hour and got 1.5" at its deepest point. It took a little while to get the air/water mix just right. When you do, you know it pretty quick. Very pleased that it worked, and that my air compressor kept up. On a cold dry night, I can really see this thing putting it down.
2slikstix
Expert
Tagline: Tree Whore

As ted would say.............Excellent!
"You mean there is Two of them??"
"it's about 10 very heavy inches. I can drive it but it sure will be slow"
thefirewarde
Beginner

Congratulations! I'm glad it worked for you!
salutethehill
Beginner

bamapilot
Expert

Good job Jerry, now we all know your real name. ;)
salutethehill
Beginner

@bamapilot 294155 wrote:Good job Jerry, now we all know your real name. ;)

Thanks. U know its true what they say..the camera adds 150 lbs.
salutethehill
Beginner

Christmas morning in upstate SC. Ran it for about 2 hours Christmas eve night. Humidity was good (50% or so) but the temps were borderline (29-30). One of these days we'll get low 20s with 30% humidity, and then it'll be on.

http://picjoint.com//files/179/chrismas.jpg