The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Made a snowgun yesterday

This is the place to post - Non ski-related chit chat, G rated

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean!)
salutethehill
Beginner

Tested it out last night. Too warm to make snow...but still..

davidski
Expert

That is so excellent -- I love your son's enthusiasm (you seem pretty enthusiastic too).

A big project , for big fun and hopefully you'll get big results. Look forward to the updates ... particularly of disgruntled, or maybe just confused, neighbors
bamapilot
Expert

Let's see what you get on a cold night. Looks like some good stuff.
salutethehill
Beginner

@davidski 293613 wrote:That is so excellent -- I love your son's enthusiasm (you seem pretty enthusiastic too).

A big project , for big fun and hopefully you'll get big results. Look forward to the updates ... particularly of disgruntled, or maybe just confused, neighbors

Yeah, we're pretty pumped about it. It looks like we may have cold enough weather Sunday night to give it a go. We'll just make sure snow forms...I won't be too worried about quality (kids have school the next day). I'll definitely keep y'all posted.
2slikstix
Expert
Tagline: Tree Whore

http://www.snowathome.com/weather/snow1 ... tion=28673

I use this site to predict what nights will work for my Snow machine. Its fun to try and I had a couple nights of good results last season. Just change the location to personalize it to you

Post up pics when you lay some down.
"You mean there is Two of them??"
"it's about 10 very heavy inches. I can drive it but it sure will be slow"
salutethehill
Beginner

@2slikstix 293633 wrote:http://www.snowathome.com/weather/snow1 ... tion=28673

I use this site to predict what nights will work for my Snow machine. Its fun to try and I had a couple nights of good results last season. Just change the location to personalize it to you

Post up pics when you lay some down.

Yeah, that's a good tool. This is where I got the plans to build it:

http://www.snsnowmaking.com/
thefirewarde
Beginner

Nice gun! Do you mind posting your CFM, GPM, and nozzle specs?

One other thought, if you mount the gun higher up, you'll get better snow at higher temperatures but the snow will be less concentrated, especially if you have a lot of wind. I have mine on a 12-foot 1x4 clamped to a ladder.
scotus
Intermediate

Good luck!
salutethehill
Beginner

@thefirewarde 293677 wrote:Nice gun! Do you mind posting your CFM, GPM, and nozzle specs?

One other thought, if you mount the gun higher up, you'll get better snow at higher temperatures but the snow will be less concentrated, especially if you have a lot of wind. I have mine on a 12-foot 1x4 clamped to a ladder.

I figure it'll have to be mounted higher on all but the most bitter-cold/dry nights.

The pressure washer is 2400 PSI and 2.1 GPM.

The air compressor in this video is 135 PSI, 5hp, 25gal tank. I'm not sure what the CFM is.

The air compressor at home which will be running this is 125psi, 2.5hp, 21gal tank, 4.7CFM@90PSI

Nozzle is 4002 nozzles up top (3) and a 2505 nozzle at the bottom, pretty much what the website calls for.

What do you have? How well does it work?
salutethehill
Beginner

@scotus 293686 wrote:Good luck!

thx