The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Alright chain breakers

This is the place to post - Non ski-related chit chat, G rated

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean!)
ut_Twintip
Intermediate

I'm in the market for a new bike next year. I have been riding my trusty Raleigh M60 since college and so far she has held up to the abuse.

It has been a great commuter bike and weekend warrior. However I feel it's time to move on. My wandering eyes have caught sight of something newer, younger, and sexier. I recently demo'd a Tallboy 29er and fell in love with the FS feel.

For those avid MTBers here, I need some advice. With decent bikes looking to be in the $2500+- range, this will be an investment for me. I did enjoy the Tallboy but am open to other suggestions. The upcoming Bronson sounds nice with its medium tire size.

I'm a strong intermediate biker. 160# geared up with a medium frame need. While DH is ho-li-**** fun chances are I'll be using it mostly for XC and singletrack. While I'm sure this will turn in to a 'my brand is better than yours' match, I'll listen to anything you have to say. And no, I don't want to build my own.
josh27292
Beginner

The Tallboy 29er is a pretty popular bike but can be a bit pricey depending on the specs you choose. Whatever you decide to go with I suggest something that's a quiver killer unless you have the scrill for more than one bike. Something with 120mm - 140mm of travel, 68-69 degree head tube angle, and the shorter the chainstays the better (gives the bike a more playful ride). Also you might want to look into the 650B's, they are getting pretty popular among the smaller bike manufacturers. 29ers do everything better that's boring on 26ers and 650B's are a mix of both. Either way demo as much as possible as all bikes ride different.
KneeDeep
Expert

First of all, I'll start by saying this... you should build your own. It's NOT hard. I'll give you an example of why you should strongly consider it: I just built a 2012 Tallboy 29er with XT-level specs, a Fox RLC fork, and a solid wheelset for $1800... and sold it for $3000. If you build your own, it's SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper. I'm in the process of building up a killer Niner RIP 9 build for around $1600 right now, too. It might take you an extra two weeks to find the parts, but I can help you out. Take it to a shop and they'll do a full-build for around $125.

Now, on to the recs. You say your budget is around $2500 and you show a picture of the Bronson- you know that's out of your price range, I'm assuming. Same with their new Solo (but closer, around $3500). I'd recommend looking at a 120-130mm travel 29er, or buying a "convertible" 26" bike and putting 650B wheels on it. I have a Santa Cruz Blur LT with 650B wheels and it's ridiculously fun around here. The trails I'm riding are very similar to what you have down in Castle Rock. Take a look at a Niner RIP 9 as well, I haven't ridden the one I'm building but they're supposed to be great bikes. The Tallboy LT would be up your alley too, but it's way over your $2500 budget.

I liked the Tallboy I had, but I don't think I'd want it for a single bike out here. Not enough travel, and not enough fun on the descents. Shoot me a PM and I'll give you some more ideas.

Here's a shot of my Blur LT... I've ridden this on 25+ mile XC rides as well as super-fun downhills closer to home:

KneeDeep
Expert

BTW, if you're willing to make the drive up north (Boulder/Lyons area), I'd be happy to let you try out my Blur LT and RIP 9 (once it's built). I should have all the parts next week, so give me a few days and it'll be ready to rock.
Bronco
Expert

KD with another bike!:rolleyes::D
dreamnofpow
Expert

I've been a long time KONA rider. Their bikes are tough and require little maintenance. I've been eyeing the Santa Cruz bikes though, they are nice.... lotsa great bikes out there... demo to see what fits.
KneeDeep
Expert

Lots of frames on sale on Santa Cruz's website, too.
SKISC
Expert

I will second the building. Not only is it fun but very educational and if you look around you can find some deals on lightly used parts if you don't want to buy new and you get what you want.

Santa Cruz is a good bike. Not a bad starting point.
KneeDeep
Expert

http://shop.santacruzbicycles.com/sale.html

The Heckler is $550 and the Blur LT is $900. Either of those, built with 650B wheels, would make for an awesome do-it-all Front Range bike. Figure about $1000-1200 on top of the frame in order to build a pretty well-spec'd bike, so you're looking at $1500-2000 depending on the frame.
josh27292
Beginner

@KneeDeep 290885 wrote:http://shop.santacruzbicycles.com/sale.html

The Heckler is $550 and the Blur LT is $900. Either of those, built with 650B wheels, would make for an awesome do-it-all Front Range bike. Figure about $1000-1200 on top of the frame in order to build a pretty well-spec'd bike, so you're looking at $1500-2000 depending on the frame.

Just curious but I'm guessing your buying used parts to build up the frame because I can't see how you are buying the drive train, wheels, and fork for 1,000.