The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

A Banner Elk Time Lapse

This is the place to post - Non ski-related chit chat, G rated

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean!)
SuperWill
Beginner

Hi folks, I've been busy lately playing around with the only toys that don't cause serious injury...my cameras. So here's a time lapse I put together shot from various locations around Banner Elk, including Beech, Sugar and Grandfather. Hope you enjoy! I definitely enjoyed making them. Shot with a GoPro and an Olympus OMD-EM5. I think this video has somewhere around 5000 individual images. Music by Emancipator.

[VIMEO]67539375[/VIMEO]
Ski Bunny
Advanced

Very nice! Thanks for sharing.
davidski
Expert

very cool .. I especially loved the night shots. Relentless isn't it, the stars just flow by on their steady course
SuperWill
Beginner

I spent many nights this winter in the cold on top of Sugar or Beech or around Banner Elk, trying to stabilize a tripod in 35 mph wind gusts. Hiking around in the snow with a blown acl and bone spurs in my knee was not fun but I couldn't ski so this was the next best thing. Photography is the hardest job I've ever done. As a Landscaper and Ski Coach I've done my share of manual labor. Its amazing how hard it is to sit and wait on something. The research and learning that went into my photography has paid off I think. I wanted to capture star trails and here are a few that I was lucky enough to walk away with....

This star trail over SugarTop was taken in February and is a stack of over 300 photos.

From the Apple Orchard Development looking up at Beech Mountain. 562 photos

From my neighborhood looking up at Grandfather Mountain.

And my house with the North Star in the background....this really blew me away.

Each of these images took about 10 hours of shooting, editing and processing. If anyone would like to purchase any of these star trails, they look amazing on canvas. I've currently got a 20x30" SugarTop star trail on canvas sitting in a box waiting to be shipped for $45. I don't think anyone else is doing stuff like this in Banner Elk. It has been an incredibly fun process that I am now addicted to. The best part is watching the images stack and seeing the final image "create" itself. Truly amazing world we live in.
2slikstix
Expert
Tagline: Tree Whore

absolutely amazing stuff Will. A LOT of work in those single stills.

Loved the video too.
"You mean there is Two of them??"
"it's about 10 very heavy inches. I can drive it but it sure will be slow"
davidski
Expert

It's all about the DJ in the sky -- spinning those tunes. Live every night on KSKY -- free public access media

Will, what are the images like on canvas? How does that enhance them, just because of the mixture of media background?

serious question by the way, I really like what you've captured
mmmtaters
Advanced

Fun!

I'm playing with some time lapse stuff of the Clt sky line from various angles. I will post if I ever find the time to finish and get it up.
skipink
Expert

Wow! Now go to SW Texas and get some night shots!
"Nothing changes if nothing changes."
davidski
Expert

^^ the Milky Way would just scrub the whole screen white like a sponge

God I miss seeing the milky way horizon to horizon
SuperWill
Beginner

So here's my view of SugarTop, Grandfather Mountain, Morganton and Charlotte from inside my house. This 20x30 Canvas is easy to hang, lightweight and durable. Seeing the lights from planes flying over the mountains and then speed up is really cool. A print is certainly more vivid and detailed but after its on the wall its hard to tell any difference in most cases. Thanks for the compliments. I've enjoyed learning how to do these. Its really not that hard, just time consuming. If anyone would like to check out some other shots go to http://www.williammauneyphotography.jimdo.com I pretty sure I can get the milky way to show itself clearly with a star tracker...which would be amazing on the backside of Beech.....they're expensive tho so y'all better start buying some photos first...haha.;)