The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Need A Cheap Waterproof Digital Camera

This is the place to post - Non ski-related chit chat, G rated

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean!)
SKISC
Expert

Since the kayak is back out I would like to get a camera to take to the river. Just something cheap as it will not be used much. If anyone has any experience with one let me know.
dj
Advanced

Dunno what you consider cheap, but I like my Nikon AW100 and it has handled being dunked in rivers several times with no problems. It's also done well skiing, backpacking and on roller coasters :-)

I think the current version is the AW110 and it's a bit more expensive than the AW100. Also, the 100 (& I assume the 110) have a glass/plastic/whatever shield over the lens that sometimes causes flare when pointed to near the sun. That's my only complaint with the camera.

dj
THA HATTER
Beginner

Just scoop a gopro hero or hero 2 off ebay
jamsandwich
Expert

Yeah pov it out
SKISC
Expert

@THA HATTER 290377 wrote:Just scoop a gopro hero or hero 2 off ebay

I have thought about the Gopro route. I like the new one. Not crazy about the pov videos but with all that footage I bet you can find some great stills in there.
skipink
Expert

We have an older model that you can set on stills taken at set intervals. Bultaco usually set it on 5 or 10 seconds while we were skiing. That worked great and if you have it mounted you don't have to stop what you are doing for a good photo.
"Nothing changes if nothing changes."
THA HATTER
Beginner

@SKISC 290402 wrote:I have thought about the Gopro route. I like the new one. Not crazy about the pov videos but with all that footage I bet you can find some great stills in there.

It takes great shots in camera mode too. I don't use it much but took this testing.

[IMG]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-5npb ... 2013-03-20[/IMG]
swamphox
Expert

Kodak playsport hd

You can find it for 100 bucks on newegg

still and hd video.

water proof

before i got my goggle camera I used to use it for my skiing videos (mounted on my helmet)

example of underwater video use...go to the video settings and select one of the hd selections to get an idea of how that looks. I wouldve embedded the vid but it's not available on this forum

Underwater still photo

I love mine as you might've guessed....
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3
2slikstix
Expert