The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Thinking About A New MTB Build And Going To The Dark Side

This is the place to post - Non ski-related chit chat, G rated

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean!)
SKISC
Expert

Thinking of getting a Niner Air 9 RDO frame and building up with SRAM 2x10 drive train. Not set on that yet but thinking in that general direction. I guess I am ready to see what all the fuss is over the 29er. Will be an 6 to 9 month project more than likely but will be fun.

If this happens I will at some point have a Giant XTC hardtail for sale. SRAM x-0 shifters and rear derailleur, XT front der. Race Face Deus Cranks, Rock Shox Reba Team fork, Avid juicy 7 hydraulic brakes, and Easton Havoc wheels.
2slikstix
Expert
Tagline: Tree Whore

did you ever attend a Nascar sponsor speak class? You sound like a Nascar driver touting his sponsors list in an interview
"You mean there is Two of them??"
"it's about 10 very heavy inches. I can drive it but it sure will be slow"
2slikstix
Expert

but the bike sounds cool
SKISC
Expert

@2slikstix 289911 wrote:did you ever attend a Nascar sponsor speak class? You sound like a Nascar driver touting his sponsors list in an interview

I did that my second sophmore year of college.
yardsale
Expert

i have a ht 29er ss, i have no complaints with it for most of the trails around here. large drops and jumps i usually tend to skip with it though. i tell myself my next bike will probably be a fs 26 (1x?, 2x?) with more of an all mountain setup but might be a while before i can afford it.

i'd say demo before you jump into an expensive build, or trade off with a buddy who has one to see if you like it first. the reason i chose 29 over 26 is because that's what came up for the right price on craigslist. my last 26 was 2 sizes too small and abandoned years ago when i left college, used on trails maybe twice when i was a teenager so i dont have much to compare to. i'm guessing you do a lot of racing so you probably already know 10x more than i do about bikes anyways. have fun and post your build here if you get it going
:D :) ;) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:
SKISC
Expert

I do wish I could find a place to demo the SRAM XX and Shimano XTR. That is my biggest struggle right now. I ahve SRAM on my other bikes and love the way they feel. Shimano has made some inprovements on quicker, crisper shifts ao I am trying to consider that as well. Just notsure which way to go. Hay run up tp Brevard and see if a shop there has both set up on a bike I could test ride.

Yardsale, if you get a 26 AM trail bike you may want to seriously consider staying with the tripple ring. I know there are some closley duped gears but personally I love the granny on a 26.
yardsale
Expert

way out of my budget right now but i'll keep it in mind. when i finally do pull the trigger it will probably again be best-used-bike-available-that-i-can-afford-at-the-moment.
:D :) ;) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:
2slikstix
Expert

Luke..............your father rides a Huffy banana seat............. use the force to get a cooler one...
dreamnofpow
Expert

They sell 29er's at Walmart now, the trend is officially over. Stick with a 26er, more fun.
KneeDeep
Expert

After riding all three wheel sizes in the last 12 months, I'm a firm believer that they all have their place. Personally, I'm a big fan of having an all-mountain 26" bike (Santa Cruz Blur LT) for most of my "fun riding" and a short-travel full-suspension 29er (GT Sensor Expert) for the more XC-type rides.

What kind of riding do you prefer? I think the Niner RDO looks pretty bad-a$$ and would make a great bike. I'm a big fan of building a bike from the frame up, too. It's a lot more fun, you get to handpick your components, and it feels more personalized in the end. I built up my Blur LT this past winter and I'm absolutely in love with the bike.