The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Who did what over the weekend?

This is the place to post - Non ski-related chit chat, G rated

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean!)
jeffryc
Expert

Thanks! I'll be pitching again in no time at all.
Ski Bunny
Advanced

Just back from a week at the beach.
scotus
Intermediate

Recover from my New Orleans trip, LOL
SKISC
Expert

Rode 35 miles today
MrClemsonKeri
Expert

Went to Aiken so the wife could go to a baby shower her aunts threw for her. And helped father inlaw work in the yard.
teledave
Expert

SUP'd the Lower Pigeon on Friday afternoon, went to Cincy to see the Reds beat the Braves on Sat. & Sun.
Plans for 2015: To ski more than you
mobile boarder
Intermediate

Did a 24mile paddle with an overnight on the Escatawpa river
Days on snow (tbd)
OldSchool
Intermediate
Tagline: ......................I Love Cold, Rain and Snow!

Dave, what type or brands are you running the river with?

I have only paddled a normal fiberglass SUP board .. I was checking out some of the plastic SUP's.. I noticed one style that has some dry storage and a cooler mounting system..I was thinking about buying one someday.
"Like Tater tots in the broiler"........ sometimes they smoke

Hey Bo! Hamme one dem beers!...
teledave
Expert

I have an Imagine Surfer. I would really like a Corran Addison Streetfighter.

Board type depends on what you want to do with it and how careful you want to be with it. IMO, the dry storage in all of them are a joke; it's more just a bucket with a lid on it that fills up with water.

If you want whitewater capability you want a plastic or an inflatable board. The plastic boards are heavy as heck, 55-60 lbs of a bulky hard to deal with board. Plastic is what I have though. Inflatables are half the weight, but you have the hassle of inflating deflating them everytime. Storage and transport is way easier though. For fla****er/ocean use a foam core epoxy board is superlight. Several boards of all compositions are made with bungee cords on the deck to attach stuff like fishing rods, small coolers, etc. In general, plastic boards are the cheapest at $500-900; inflatables are around $1000-1200, foam core epoxy $1000-2500. In general, wider is more stable but slow; narrower is faster but less stable.

I think they are tons of fun, my board gets more use on the lake than anywhere else. Wife and kids love it.

Backcountry.com has a good selection of high quality boards to look at and figure out what you are looking for. The Jackson boards are on sale at a pretty good price. The Liquid Logic Versa can also be set up as a sit on top.

http://www.backcountry.com/Store/catalo ... 045&page=0
Plans for 2015: To ski more than you
SKISC
Expert

Going to try and get some mileage in this weekend. Got a ride from Pickens to Table Rock and back next weekend.