The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Photography and I

This is the place to post - Non ski-related chit chat, G rated

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean!)
angel
Advanced

afro, your photos always amaze me....but where's the fence in the horse shot??? (I WOULD notice that...!!) :roll:
ski11
Intermediate

angel wrote:
.but where's the fence in the horse shot??? (I WOULD notice that...!!) :roll:

I can barely see it.
SKISC
Expert

I really like them all. The tower would have been good with a red or polarizing filter. It would have really brought out the clouds aainst the sky. The one with the road could be cropped a little but I liked it. It just takes a minute to find the subject. I might crop it to the top of the trees but no further.
afrobigfoot
Expert

ma267 wrote:
Is that the parkway?

Yes, thats the parkway
afrobigfoot
Expert

SKISC wrote:
I really like them all. The tower would have been good with a red or polarizing filter. It would have really brought out the clouds aainst the sky. The one with the road could be cropped a little but I liked it. It just takes a minute to find the subject. I might crop it to the top of the trees but no further.

I had my polarizing filter on but for some reason i totally forgot to mess around with it :( Ive thought about it since then and do plan on getting back to that church sometime this summer.

Speaking of Red filters, do you know where I can get one? I keep hearing people talk about red filters but when i search them, I dont get any real responces back, or are they the same thing as an "infared" (spelling?) filter?
afrobigfoot
Expert

angel wrote:
afro, your photos always amaze me....but where's the fence in the horse shot??? (I WOULD notice that...!!) :roll:

The fence is pretty much hidden. Despite the darkness of the picture, the lay of the land would still hide it. About 5 feet from teh road it drops down about 6 feet, and the fence is inbetween that drop and the bottom.
afrobigfoot
Expert

This picture was taken using some Macro Extension tubes that my friend lent me. Id like to try a macro lense before deciding which to get. Im pretty sure though that id rather get the Macro lense then just the "extension tube"

Im torn about this picture, some of you may remember the pictures I took back in March or early April of water droplets on grass, they seemed to be a bit clearer maybe?

Opinions?!
KneeDeep
Expert

That picture looked great, until you made that comment- it could definitely be a little clearer. Some of these pictures you take would make great stock photos for companies to use- there's a website out there that you can submit your pictures for approval for such uses- istockphoto.com or something similar- you should give it a try.
SKISC
Expert

B & H photo supply, Adorama or your local photo shop may have them. You just need to know what size the end of your lens is.
admin

I use Cokin filters on my SLR. For those who may not pay much attention, I use hyperlinks many times to sites that may provide info that for some reason don't show up as hyperlinks on this site unless you point to it. Review this site afro and I think you will find what you're looking for. The nice thing about the Cokin system is that you have rings that fit your lenses and can interchange the filters from lense to lense.

BTW afro, macro lenses USUALLY come in lots of 3. They are varying lengths and generally designed for use with a 50mm lense. If you used a variable focal length lense, it will explain the out of focus areas around the periphery of the photo. I have a full set for my SLR also.