The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Photography and I

This is the place to post - Non ski-related chit chat, G rated

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean!)
afrobigfoot
Expert

Right now I have a couple of blogs of my photographs on my myspace (link in signature)

Ive been trying to figure out how to work Micorsoft Front page but its not going too well right now.
KneeDeep
Expert

You should give NetObjects Fusion a try. That's what I used to put my website together- for a total computer retard like me, it was pretty easy. I'd say it took me a total of 10 hrs?
afrobigfoot
Expert

Thanks KneeDeep, ill be sure to check that out.

In an update, ive had my camera for 2 days (3 if opening it up at 11 pm counts) and ive already surpassed the 325 picture mark. Its been weird but fun learning how to focus stuff and just going through the pictures i have taken so far, i can see a big improvement, but i still got a long ways to go.

In other news, I do need to buy a macro lense, since a lot of the pictures i do take are subjected around close up shots. Who wants to buy some prints from me and help support me? :roll: :lol: :wink:

But seriously though, if any one ever does, just let me know 8)

Its really appreciated and, and it was really nice having Kent (dreamnofpow) to be the first person to do so.
g8erhater
Advanced

Congrats, Afro. From the few pictures you have shared with us, it is pretty clear that the recognition you have received is well-deserved.
g8erhater
Advanced

Afro--have you entered this?

http://www.raysweatherstore.com/photocontest/

Ray's Weather Center Photo Calendar Contest

The 2007 Edition of the Ray's Weather Calendar will feature Bodies of Water in Western NC -- lakes, waterfalls, streams, ponds, puddles, ... we'll even call "seas of fog" a body of water. Like the 2006 calendar, the 2007 calendar will feature 10 extra pages packed full of weather data from Western North Carolina.

Post cards of the 12 winning photos and the 4 "best of the rest" will be available. A notecard set is also planned. And like before, a few prints will be offered for sale.

While we will accept and consider any photo, we are looking especially for photos of bodies of water in Western North Carolina. Hard to find scenes, photos that capture the essence of Western North Carolina living, and photos that show a body of water in the context of the mountains and foothills will be given special consideration.

Prizes:

* 3 photos per season will be selected to win a $50 gift certificate at Ray's Weather Store.

* The grand prize winner (selected from all contests) will win a $100 gift certficate and $100 cash.

Contest Rules:

* Images must be uploaded in low-resolution JPEG format (maximum 200KB).

* Original must be available in at least 2400x1600 pixels.

* Images must come from Western North Carolina.

* Limit 3 entries per photographer (additional entries will not be judged).

* The person submitting must be the photographer.

* The photographer grants RaysWeather.Com exclusive rights to use the image in the calendar, postcards, note cards, and the website.

Fall: Click here to vote for your favorites

Deadline for submission was May 15, 2006

Winter: Voting coming soon

Deadline for submission June 1, 2006

Spring: Click here to submit your photos

Deadline for submission July 1, 2006

Summer: Click here to submit your photos

Deadline for submission July 21, 2006
afrobigfoot
Expert

I havent submitted that, but i will keep it in mind in my upcoming times out taking pictures.

Thank you!
admin

Congrats Afro on doing well. BTW, I am not sure you are going to like doing weddings. I have found them to be far too stressful to enjoy doing. Photographing weddings are like being a cop, you have to be a certain individual to do them, like them and do them well. They also require a pretty good capital outlay to get good photos. Let me know how you do and like it.
afrobigfoot
Expert

ive been thinking about it quite a bit and im not even sure I am going to do it. The other big thing is its on July 4th, and I dont want to waste half my day doing a wedding. That and so far, im still trying to get the hang of manually focusing everything. I have gotten better just in the past few days, but i still have a long way to go and I dont want to be incharge of capturing the best day of some ones life if I dont know what im doing :roll:
angel
Advanced

KneeDeep wrote:
Do you have a website with your pictures posted? I'd like to see some of your work.

I've been somewhat lucky with my photography lately too- since I put up my website, I've been able to "show it off" a little more. Some people at work saw it and now they want to decorate the walls in our building with my prints. Hopefully they'll order tons of them so I can make some bank off it. I've got some new shots up- check it out, snsgallery.com.

kneedeep, your pics are great!!! Especially the pups!!! Thanks for posting the website! :D
skiatlanta
Advanced

afro, you should look into pursuing photography as a career. My dad's a commercial photographer so i or my dad might be able to answer any questions you have.