The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Waterski Anyone?

This is the place to post - Non ski-related chit chat, G rated

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean!)
admin

It probably depends on which Moomba you boarded behind. I have had some pro-level wakeboarders behind mine and it is boardable and wake-to-wakes are no problem. But if you want to go big, it isn't the boat for you. I have no fat sacks at all and no wake plate. It is primarily a ski boat. My favorite wakeboard and kneeboard boat is definitely the Nautique line. Below 30 they have the perfect wake although it isn't so good for beginning level skiers.

I did a clinic behind one that actually had a trough in the middle of the wake that was totally wierd. On the wakeboard you just jump it and don't notice it. But at 24 mph on 2 skis it became obvious and gave some of our beginning level skiers fits. It took me a couple of runs to get used to it. Once I had them pump the speed up to 34 mph and switched to my KD Evolution CR, the trough was gone and it was screaming fast action across the wakes in search of those 6 balls.

I have boarded (both knee and wake) behind a Supra (manufactured by Skier's Choice, the same maker as the Moomba) and found it incredible. It had built-in fat sacks and a wake plate. The wake plate gave me fits on the first slalom set as the driver wasn't sure how to adjust it and it had a table-top wake. Great for barefooters, crappy for the course. I dropped, got back in the boat, tuned the wake plate and it turned into an awesome wake.

In my work in various learn-to-ski clinics, I have skied behind just about every boat built for skiing. Probably even some you have never heard of. They all have certain things I like and certain things I dislike. So I really can't say I am loyal to a boat manufacturer. But when I see sticker prices in excess of $45,000, I begin to wonder what is so good about that boat to warrant such a ridiculous price tag. My Moomba cost me $26,000 out the door brand new and is equipped with Perfect Pass, a tower, a Stereo CD/MP3 player with a 720 watt amp, ski racks for the tower, a barefoot bar, a tower camera mount, a pylon camera mount, etc, etc. For me it was worth it. I work on the boat myself for most things. It has it's issues, but so far it has been a good boat.
SkiCop
Expert

A co-worker of mine is buying a ski boat this year and I have helped him research the matter. I spent many, many hours behind a Nautique back in the day, but the price is a bit steep for the comman man. A couple of people on the lake own Moombas and rave about them. Dave decided that Moomba was for him. At half the price and with the same running gear, it was a no brainer. He's not going to be tournament skiing, just out having fun. I look at it like this: Dave wants boat. Dave makes even less money than I do. Dave discovers Moomba. Dave buys Moomba. I get to ski behind Moomba almost daily. I kick in gas money and drive time in return. We all win.
admin

SkiCop wrote:
Dave discovers Moomba. Dave buys Moomba. I get to ski behind Moomba almost daily. I kick in gas money and drive time in return. We all win.

Now you know where I am coming from!
MSDOG
Expert

YOU GUYS WANT SPEED. MY 14 FT. ALUMINUM WITH 12.5 HP MERCURY IS ALL YOU NEED. JUST PUT A NITROUS KIT ON IT AND I CAN PULL 4 SKIIERS BAREFOOT WITH EASE. JUST MAKE SURE THE ICE CHEST FULL OF DRINKS IS ON THE FRONT SEAT SO IT DON'T TURN OVER BACKWARD.
admin

waynecash wrote:

SkiMastercraft wrote:
BUMP. We need Mr. Stinky to give his opinion on all this!!

I just like to go out on the lake in a kick butt boat and get drunk with the ladies in the bikinis....

As long as someone else is paying the bills???? :shock:
SKISC
Expert

I quit waterskiing bout 10 years ago and started tournament bass fishing. Sold the Nautique and bought a 18.5 foot Skeeter with a Merc 175. The boat is a 94 model and has never been in the shop. I take good care of it. I would like a new one but this is paid for and does the same thing as a neww one. Just a little slower. Only go 69. I love the water and the beer and bikinis. Go diving sometimes at Keowee.
kdawg
Beginner

I say get a center console, good for the dogs, the gals, fishing, skiing, taking to the coast for some offshore boating, plenty of space and storage, and a huge cooler for the drinks!!!!

Then again if you boat on Lake Norman you better have a real pretty boat that costs way to much or you will get laughed off of that poser and over policed lake. I don't know what is worse:

the a-hole cops,

the wannabe coast guard,

the "I wish I was a real cop" citizens on patrol,

the freshwater "wanna be cops" officers

or the posers on their penis extending boats.
SKISC
Expert

kdawg wrote:
I say get a center console, good for the dogs, the gals, fishing, skiing, taking to the coast for some offshore boating, plenty of space and storage, and a huge cooler for the drinks!!!!

Then again if you boat on Lake Norman you better have a real pretty boat that costs way to much or you will get laughed off of that poser and over policed lake. I don't know what is worse:

the a-hole cops,

the wannabe coast guard,

the "I wish I was a real cop" citizens on patrol,

the freshwater "wanna be cops" officers

or the posers on their penis extending boats.

Same way here on Hartwell. Lot of of boats that sound really fast but really aren't.
admin

I wasn't ever good enough to tell the diference in anything. Had a buddy get a ski brendella straight outta college, that worked fine. My other buddy gotta Carolina Skiff with a johnson 40. 'nuff beers and that worked fine too. I paid $1,500 for a '74 larson sea shark 15.5 w/ evinrude 115 in 1989. Never did a thing but sparkplugs & footgreese. had it almost 15 years. Always ran it rich. always good for 44 mph, used to barefoot off the kneeboard...brave the lanier bigwater on a saturday...16th hole cove...goodtimes...then came babies...end of boat. Sold it for $250.