The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Switzerland tips?

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
swamphox
Expert

Need to gather Intel on Switzerland and figure I'd see what y'all know from experience.

-if we go we stay in Lucerne due to some relatives there. What resorts did y'all like near there?

-flying, where'd you fly into and when did u book? Any multi leg multi carrier flight experience would be super helpful.

-most likely this'll be a spring break trip. If you've been what time of year was it?

-is it better to learn French or English? Wife's relatives there have picked up french but everything I read says German is more predominant in the area.
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3
EOTiger
Beginner

My wife and I took a vacation to Europe back in Late March-Early April of 2019. We flew into Paris, spent a few days there; took a train to Switzerland and stayed around Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald (with a final stop in Lucerne) for a few days and then finished out in Italy, flying back to CLT from Rome. I hadn't planned to do any skiing being that late in the season but we got hit with a huge storm in Grindelwald and my wife was gracious enough to let me go rent everything from head to toe and spend the day up at Kleine Schiedegg, which was a quick train ride up the mtn from Grindelwald and spit me out right at the lifts. It was whiteout all day long so I had no idea where I was going but it was bottomless and completely empty and was one of the coolest powder experiences of my life. Not really much of a review of the resort but I would go back in a heartbeat if I got the chance.

There were two other resorts in that area and one had already closed down for the season (I believe it was called "First"). The other we saw pre-storm the day before, and it was called Schilthorn. If I ever got back to that area, I'd love to check that one out.

We didn't have any issues speaking English throughout Switzerland. I believe that area was more German but everyone I interacted with at hotels and restaurants spoke perfectly fine English.

Hopefully something here was helpful; enjoy the planning!
porter
Advanced

language will depend on where you are -- german east, french west

probably cheapest to fly to munich and drive

spring break ... depends on what you mean by that -- you might want to check school schedules online, the winter breaks run through the first part of march

there is a bewildering number of ski areas to choose from -- you can start with this site https://www.bergfex.com/schweiz/

i went to flumserberg, which is in that general area, but there are literally hundreds of ski areas of every imaginable description