The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

2022/2023 The worst weather ever

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
ToroAzul
Beginner

It was rough for sure.

Funny thing is I had five days on the slopes; a personal record.
tyrell
Beginner

I had 4 days in the southeast this year, the fewest in a season since I picked the sport back up 7 years ago. I had a trip to VT in January, and they're struggling too.

I did get a pretty awesome trip to Spokane, and I'm about to go to slovakia for a week...

But yeah, it's bad.
I want more life...
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

You would be correct, at least in terms of temps.

Beech Mountain records go back to 1990.

Snowshoe goes back to the mid 70's.

WOOOOOO!

bamapilot
Expert

Cloudmont did get open for 4 days this season, so there is that.

We for sure need a new weather pattern, this one has not been good.
Ga Skier
Intermediate
Tagline: Days on Snow...... Never Enough

A little too late for this area now but next weekend through most of the following week cold temps returning to the high country with chances of some snow mixed in.At least in the N Ga high country.Lets see if it changes.After today we're in for a warm and sunny weekend.
mondaylady
Beginner

I follow ski southeast on the internet, and while it looked like there were some good days, I'm not expecting the season to last until the third week of March like it usually does. I know that if I feel up to the 10 hour drive east, I will probably go to the NC ski areas just for sentimental reasons. Also less likely to have to chain up, which is more and more of a pain as you get older.

Much of Europe, eg France and Germany, isn't doing that well either. They've had to learn the fine art of snowmaking, something for which the Southeast has a lot of practice.

Seems now the places to go for European skiing are the old Soviet block countries--Romania, Albania, Bosnia. They're at a higher elevation and get much more snow, and they're cheaper. Not as many bells and whistles, no heated 8 seaters, but cheaper.
almost good
Beginner

Well, the season started out pretty good, I even got a day in before
Thanksgiving. And even though it kind of went to hell in February I've gotten in 18 days so far this season (8 at Wolf,4 each at Sugar and Beech, 1 each at Cat and App). I'm still hoping to get a couple more days in. We went to App earlier this week, it was the first time I'd been there in around 20 years. We went because it looked good on the webcam and it was surprisingly good considering the
awful weather and how bad all the other places looked. They really know how to make and groom snow there.
On a different subject, I hope the news about Wolf is true.
YoureNotInColoradoAnymore
Beginner

Opening dates get pushed back every year as a trend. Within our lifetimes we will see the last ski resort open in November and the race will be to see if anyone can open for Christmas.
johnfekete
Beginner

For the south baddd winter. February wiped out all the expert runs except mostly snowshoe. you lose expert runs in the south you are doooomed the blue runs mostly rottttt except like 4 runs snow bowl eagle swoop upper ballhooter and maye two more. Even i got a season pass no black runs no goooooooo time to mountain bike you fools.brother luke said gore mountain and vermint had an ok season thanks to great marchhhh. South got mostly screwed february wiped out all the good runs