The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Any suggestions for a Western resort to ski over Christmas with family

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
marzski
Advanced

Wanakenatransplant wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:08 pm Thanks for the details about Big Sky. I have been wanting to go there. Is a rental car needed once landing in Bozeman? Or is there a shuttle to get you from the airport to the resort/hotel? I prefer to not do a rental car if possible. I am thinking a slopeside room would be easiest for us. Rates are high, but they are everywhere that time of year. I still need to check out options for ski school for the 4 year old and I usually send the 10 year old for a day to give her a refresher. Have you skied Big Sky in December or early January? Do they usually have a lot open?
It's possible to shuttle to Big Sky if you can swing ski in/out lodging. The airport is a solid hour drive from Big Sky. While there is a bus system for lodging in Meadow Village, it doesn't run that often. Wouldn't be good with kids. Worth talking to someone on the phone about resort lodging options. There are condos that are near what I call "transportation lifts" that might fit the bill. They aren't near the main village but are ski in/out.

The Children's Ski School seems to be based out of the Moonlight Basin base, so best to keep that in mind.

My trips to Big Sky have been in February. I know they have been adding snowmaking steadily so I'm sure there is enough open for kids.

I sent my daughter to Big Sky over Christmas week with another family when she was a young teen. There was plenty of terrain open for advanced skiers. She and the boy from the other family skied all over the place together. Even did a run off the tram down Liberty with a local who was a friend of the other family. Was pretty rocky at the top, but plenty of snow afterwards.

Big Sky is huge. It's bigger than Alta and Snowbird put together. Even Andesite Mountain by itself is more than enough for a week. The blue and green groomers there are really long. As are the blue groomers on the front side of Lone Mountain. I can imagine spending 30 minutes wandering down one of them with someone who needs to stop every so often.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
mondaylady
Beginner

I agree, it's a little late to plan for this Christmas, but you never know.
When my husband was stationed in Ft Lewis, I used to take Monday trips to Crystal Mountain (hence my screen name). When I used to go there it was a nice locals' mountain, but Intrawest bought them out, so now they're more like the Colorado resorts. There are also Snoqualmie Summit and Hyatt just off I-90, but I think that's where the Seattle yuppies go simply because it's a straight shot off I-90. Hope you find something good.
swamphox
Expert

Sunlight in Colorado is big and has the longest easy run in the country. Its also cheap. plus some of the hotels have really good indoor water slide. The have a ski swim and stay package incase you have some non skiers. Also they're on the indy pass if u have it. Most likely wont be too crowded. Its relatively close to aspen and some of the bigger resorts but the resort itself is a short drive off I-70 near glenwood springs.

Additionally ANY of the idaho resorts are good but silver mtn jas an indoor water park with it.
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3