The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Any suggestions for a Western resort to ski over Christmas with family

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
Wanakenatransplant
Beginner

If you have suggestions of quieter, larger ski resorts to ski over the Christmas holidays would be appreciated. I have 4 and 10 year old girls. The 10 year old skis everything in NC and can ski the western territory at Snowshoe. The 4 year old is going to start learning this year and we want to send her to ski school while on the trip. We want a larger acreage resort with good variety for my wife and I, but not as well known so it will have less travelling holiday crowds. We have been to Snowshoe over 2 holidays and we are tired of the large crowd, no fresh snow, and rain. We are fine getting on a plane and renting a vehicle to get to the resort. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks
bamapilot
Expert

Any of the major resorts out west have plenty of terrain for people to spread out. The problem with Christmas time is conditions and rather or not the resorts have a lot of terrain open. It can be hit or miss that early in the season depending on weather. I have been to Telluride during New Years and the only slopes open is were they had snow guns, all man-made snow. It was just like NC but with taller hills. I know the guns have been on out west, but that just opens their main artery trails.
Wanakenatransplant
Beginner

Thanks for the info. If we decide to go after Christmas we may hold out on booking plans until after Thanksgiving. This should give a better idea of who is receiving natural snow. It may limit housing options, but I want to have several trails open with natural snow.
YoureNotInColoradoAnymore
Beginner

I agree Telluride is one of the best in general. Copper Mountain is probably a bit cheaper and they have good beginner stuff and a good ski school. If you are going to Copper there is plenty of other skiing in Summit County worth considering within maybe 15 minutes of each other - Keystone, Breckenridge, Arapahoe Basin. Vail is just over Vail Pass from there and back up the price chain.
MSDOG
Expert

We went to Jackson Hole probably 20 times over the years when the kids were growing up. That's where they learned to ski(ages 7 and 4) and pretty much had to go over the holidays because of school. That was over 30 years ago. Loved it but seems like JH has gotten very pricey lately. Not sure I could afford it now with 3 grown kids and 10 grand kids but would love to take the grands out there once while I can still ski.
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

Big fan of Copper. A good variety of terrain that is kind of all grouped together in their own areas. That and the village is awesome.
WOOOOOO!

marzski
Advanced

Wanakenatransplant wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:49 am If you have suggestions of quieter, larger ski resorts to ski over the Christmas holidays would be appreciated. I have 4 and 10 year old girls. The 10 year old skis everything in NC and can ski the western territory at Snowshoe. The 4 year old is going to start learning this year and we want to send her to ski school while on the trip. We want a larger acreage resort with good variety for my wife and I, but not as well known so it will have less travelling holiday crowds. We have been to Snowshoe over 2 holidays and we are tired of the large crowd, no fresh snow, and rain. We are fine getting on a plane and renting a vehicle to get to the resort. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks
Has become pricey but Big Sky would fit the description. Southwest started flying to Bozeman. In general there are more flights. But you are starting pretty late in terms of planning for Xmas. Note that Bridger is 20 min from Bozeman. Local families ski at Bridger. Ski school is good. I have a favorite Level 3 instructor at Bridger.

If you don't need extras, Wolf Creek has the terrain and ski school that could work well. Can stay in Pagosa Springs where there is more to do and more lodging options. Or get cheaper VRBO/AirBnB lodging in South Fork. The town is tiny so need to be prepared to cook meals. Wolf Creek gets snow early. While it's not a destination resort, it's not small. About 2000 acres with terrain for all ability levels. A friend who lives in the NC mountains spent all of Dec 2020 in South Fork when her kids were in virtual school. They are going back for 2 weeks in late Dec 2022. I drove to Colorado for a week at Wolf Creek last December and am going to meet up with friends again. We are leaving for home on Dec. 18.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
YoureNotInColoradoAnymore
Beginner

Bridger Bowl is an under-rated gem. I did a trip to Big Sky with 1 day at Bridger and that was a perfect mix and a great trip.
THEBOL79

Copper is great for those ages. They have a dedicated learning hill called Green Acres and outstanding lessons available for all ages and skill levels. Beyond that the terrain is varied and divided from west to east in difficulty. The west side of the resort being home to many great greens while the east side is exclusively for those seeking bigger thrills. The town of Frisco is nearby and Breckinridge isn’t far either. Both offer much to do and dine on after a full day of runs.
Wanakenatransplant
Beginner

marzski wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:14 pm
Wanakenatransplant wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:49 am If you have suggestions of quieter, larger ski resorts to ski over the Christmas holidays would be appreciated. I have 4 and 10 year old girls. The 10 year old skis everything in NC and can ski the western territory at Snowshoe. The 4 year old is going to start learning this year and we want to send her to ski school while on the trip. We want a larger acreage resort with good variety for my wife and I, but not as well known so it will have less travelling holiday crowds. We have been to Snowshoe over 2 holidays and we are tired of the large crowd, no fresh snow, and rain. We are fine getting on a plane and renting a vehicle to get to the resort. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks
Has become pricey but Big Sky would fit the description. Southwest started flying to Bozeman. In general there are more flights. But you are starting pretty late in terms of planning for Xmas. Note that Bridger is 20 min from Bozeman. Local families ski at Bridger. Ski school is good. I have a favorite Level 3 instructor at Bridger.

If you don't need extras, Wolf Creek has the terrain and ski school that could work well. Can stay in Pagosa Springs where there is more to do and more lodging options. Or get cheaper VRBO/AirBnB lodging in South Fork. The town is tiny so need to be prepared to cook meals. Wolf Creek gets snow early. While it's not a destination resort, it's not small. About 2000 acres with terrain for all ability levels. A friend who lives in the NC mountains spent all of Dec 2020 in South Fork when her kids were in virtual school. They are going back for 2 weeks in late Dec 2022. I drove to Colorado for a week at Wolf Creek last December and am going to meet up with friends again. We are leaving for home on Dec. 18.
Thanks for the details about Big Sky. I have been wanting to go there. Is a rental car needed once landing in Bozeman? Or is there a shuttle to get you from the airport to the resort/hotel? I prefer to not do a rental car if possible. I am thinking a slopeside room would be easiest for us. Rates are high, but they are everywhere that time of year. I still need to check out options for ski school for the 4 year old and I usually send the 10 year old for a day to give her a refresher. Have you skied Big Sky in December or early January? Do they usually have a lot open?