The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

NC Season passes?

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
bamapilot
Expert

A few years ago, 5-10 years, I was out in Colorado, I think I was at Vail. The lefties there, that had been there for years, were telling me how this was the busiest they had ever seen Vail. I was shocked, the longest lift line I was in all weekend was maybe 3 chairs. I rode on slopes where I saw no other riders. The whole time I was thinking, “They call this busy”, it makes the $hit show that is the SE weekend skiing look absolutely insane. You’d think eventually, someone will open/reopen another area in the SE. Hawksnest, Scaly, Sky Valley, PHEONIX(the resort that never was).
jt3
Intermediate

Yeah the overcrowding the last few seasons has caused me to pause in buying a pass. Several days last season, I’d get a few runs in and give up. Unless they put hard limits on the amount of people allowed on the hill, I don’t see how they could ease things. Sugar especially ain’t doing that…. Stuff em in and turn the base cam so no one sees the mess..
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

killglobalwarmingnow wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:30 pm May jump on the IKon next year if the 5 year old makes progress and we can spread our wings to locations that arent as dangerous and overcrowded on weekends.
Highly recommend the Ikon. It's good at Snowshoe. That and the resorts on it have been far better managed the last few years than the Epic pass apparently. I'm on year 3 of having it and I love it. Plan on going to Oregon, Colorado, and maybe Utah this season.

Not sure what the NC ski areas can do in terms of overcrowding but it's gotten pretty bad. I've been snowboarding for 16 winters and last year was the first time I did not ride a single day in North Carolina. The overcrowding definitely played a major part in me not going. The only way the resorts can address the crowds is to turn people away or ridiculously jack up the prices. Can't imagine people being happy with either. It's a weird spot to be in for them, being so successful in terms of attracting customers that it's ruining the overall product.
WOOOOOO!

bamapilot
Expert

The easiest answer is to reopen Hawksnest. I know they’ve been close for what, 20 years, but the infrastructure is there, even if it does have to be greatly upgraded. Question is, has Seven Devils got their demons worked out and will they allow the Nest to reopen. Even if it hides out and becomes a locals area, it would be the first step to help alleviate some of the pressure on the 3 other Boone area resorts.

Also, if Wolf could ever get their $hit together and get that place open like it should be. They had a huge expansion plan, also 20 years ago, that would have turned them into an amazing area.
EOTiger
Beginner

Hey guys, been following the site for probably 15 years and I'm finally jumping on here to post. I never got to experience Hawksnest but heard it was a pretty cool area. Would love to see it get back open somehow.
And I agree that Wolf has huge potential. Thats probably my second favorite spot in NC even with the lackluster effort in getting even half the mtn open every year. I've been able to time it twice in the last few years where after 10-12"+ snows, they drops the ropes on everything for the day, keep it ungroomed, and let you have at it (RIP ski bases). I really like their terrain but just wish they could get it all open more than a day or two per year.

Regarding passes, do you guys ever see any other NC resorts jumping on the Indy pass? Living in Greenville SC, I would love to have another 1 or 2 around here to make that more enticing for local trips.
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

EOTiger wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:05 pm Regarding passes, do you guys ever see any other NC resorts jumping on the Indy pass? Living in Greenville SC, I would love to have another 1 or 2 around here to make that more enticing for local trips.
If any of them were to join it, I'd say Beech would be it. Definitely can't see Sugar joining and App is a unique place, more geared towards terrain park and families.
WOOOOOO!

bamapilot
Expert

Without more terrain added, I think most areas have surpassed their occupancy in the slopes on those crazy weekends. Maybe the state needs to come in and set a max occupancy on each area, individually. That way it would keep from sugar selling 20k tickets for one day. Put it as a safety issue and force the product to be better.

Also, seems like years ago now, Beech reinvested in their base village. Maybe more areas need to add to the base, give those non-skiers something to do at the ski area that doesn’t include skiing.

I’m not sure Sugar or App have room to expand the slopes, Beech has the Oz side that can be expanded. Which again, takes us back to Hawks, everyone remember the mural on the wall showing future trails? That place needs to be revived, there should be some push by the local government to find someone to reopen that area. That is if you can get Seven Devils to agree, anyone know the feelings in that town about that possibility, or is it so far out of their mind that it’s a no go before it even gets started???
marzski
Advanced

jt3 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:57 pm @marzski I’ve been posting up in January for a month and a short trip again early march.
A couple friends and I will be in Driggs March 3-4. Will you be skiing GT those days?

We'll be on the way to Big Sky from SLC.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
jt3
Intermediate

Hey @marzski - I’m there for the month of January. Small chance I can go back in march but not certain yet. Have to get back and get started on work for the year and see how it goes. Hoping for a good weather season there. Driggs is a great small town. Hopefully it can stay that way a little longer!
marzski
Advanced

jt3 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:45 am Hey @marzski - I’m there for the month of January. Small chance I can go back in march but not certain yet. Have to get back and get started on work for the year and see how it goes. Hoping for a good weather season there. Driggs is a great small town. Hopefully it can stay that way a little longer!
Stayed in Driggs a couple times at The Pines Motel. This time with a couple friends in a condo.

Hope you can make it back in March.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.