The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Sapphire upgrades

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
bamapilot
Expert

Looks like Sapphire is reinvesting into their area. Good to see the second smallest SE ski area catching up to the big boys. Now if we can just get THE CLOUDMONT to commit to being open again.

Still waiting for Scaly to re-enter the ski/snowboarding world as well.
Bultaco
Beginner

We used to go there a lot in late 70's when I attended WCU. You could go on a week night for $3.00 with student id. Did they used to have a rope tow that took you higher up the mtn than the lift? It seems that's what i remember, but not sure. I may be thinking of somewhere else.
bamapilot
Expert

I always said I wished Alabama had something the size of Sapphire, Scaly or Sky Valley. I’m that time Sky Valley and Scaly have closed and THE CLOUDMONT is all but closed, seemingly living on life support. Scaly has reopened, sort of. But it’s great to see Sapphire reinvesting to make things better for their skiers,
YoureNotInColoradoAnymore
Beginner

Their snowmaking looks legit.
swamphox
Expert

Sapphire could position itself as a terrain park only and probably get a good bit of business from it.
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3
GulfBoarder
Beginner
Tagline: 2-time First Snow Prediction Champion (back in the day) 05-06ish

We need to form a group and buy Cloudmont. Or at least we could lease the ski operation and run it ourselves. I have time off in the winter.
bamapilot
Expert

I still need to get up there and see what’s really going on with those folks.