The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

first snowshoe trip by a yankeeeee

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
johnfekete1
Beginner

hELLO GOT A FUNNY STORY back in 1996 a little after i moved here from upstate new york, my self and two guys from down here went up to snowshoe. WE STAYED at top of the world i slept on the floor on coach cushions lol.
I wore a black spyder jacket which was the same as what ski instructors were wearing. back then no shays revenge and just widowmaker down the one lift. i started getting crazy as day went on. I was in lift line i see guy with rossignol 4s but had rear entry boots. I say to the guy loudly i like your skis but your boots suck. My buddy in line next to me moved back as the guy was 6 foot 4. I seen this one lady with skis from 1972 i said back home in new york we put skis like that on fireplace wall. this one person had salamon 222 bindings i said go to a ski shop now and replace those they were from like 1976. i said those are dangerous they had a recall on them the guy said they work I SAID yes once you click in your good but your not coming out let me call a knee surgeon for you. i said down in west virginia you guys will ski on anything i need to bring my skis from the basement with cubco bindings and sell them to you.
I saw many folks with rear entry ski boots, ski magazine says fill those up with cement and use them as boat anchors used that line like 20 times. at the top of mountain saw this real pretty blonde had white flashy ski outfit told her i like your skis she flashed a smile then i said your boots suck. SHE QUICKLY turned really mad at me starts yelling at me saying who do you think you are and she starts to come after me on the flats i start laughing noooo wayy she running me down. I quess she thought i was from mountain staff with my spyder jacket.
That night me and brad decide to go to bar the other guy brian stayed in room feet were almost bleeding from bad fitting ski boots. At the bar we see this guy dirty dancing with two different girls it was so graphic that the bouncers had to tell them to stop or leave the bar.
I decided to do some dancing im more of a crazy double stepping dancer and do not get close at all to the person. I dance with these two girls to get out on the floor, AFTER they ask me where im from i say north carolina they laugh hard at me i said i just came from upstate new york they laugh harder, i said where the heck are you from they say OHIO. ohio ARE YOU KIDDING ME, in 1996 ohio was in severe recession, toledo, steubenville , akron, cleveland are you ##### kidding me. ohio is coldd flatttttt no jobs lots of drinking your girls are out of your mind. NOW SINCE then ohio has made a comeback in columbus and other spotsss. BUT NORTH CAROLINA BLOWS THE CRAP OUT OF OHIO BACK IN 1996 AND NOW.
i was tired of waiting for shuttle by main lodge so i started skiing on side of road all the way back to top of the world on the last hill i was slowing going up as my my two friends went by me on the bus lol. That was crazy never doing that again.
It TOOK MY ONE FRIEND 20 YEARS TO GET OVER THAT trip he would not go on a ski trip with me for years i kind of scared him that we woulld get beat up if he hangs with me on a ski trip. oh i almost forgot the second night we watched super bowl and my friends rooting for greenbay. DENVER ENDED up winning, i went out of room after the game saw a guy with green bay jersey on . i screamed loudly DENVER DENVER were at a ski mountain gotta root for denver you dummy i thought he was gonna punch me he was soo maddddddddddd.
now thats a ski storyyyyyyyy NOT some boring ski pinkkkkkkk tale
johnfekete1
Beginner

alot has changed since that trip in 1996 , i have become less of a jerk more appreciative of living down in NC. mANY OF THE People i razzed back in 1996 are gone they are priced off the mountain no more spruce lodge. I went to utah with my brothers and some friends and with the savings in lodging it was not much more than snowshoe staying at great places on top.
nOW IM THE ONE with rossignol B2 skis and old boots who should be razzed lol, i did get some rossignol skye 7 to get in with new equipment. and all the new trails make it alot more enjoyable. I quess back in 1996 i was expecting a mountain as good as HUNTER not happening.
johnfekete1
Beginner

wow nobody finds this story funny. i forgot it was 25 degrees out you would think its zerooooo out. i had my neck and face showing no problem. My buddy brad did not have a ski jacket so he wore like 5 sweatshirts and a light blue UNC thin thing with cotton thigs at the sleeves . YOU could see him a mile away we called him michellin man he is 6 foot 2 . I have since convinced him to buy columbia jacket.
Everybody acted like it was sub zero.
swamphox
Expert

always good to read your stuff, but I think I get radder most of the time.
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3
johnfekete1
Beginner

that was along time ago i no longer will act that wild at all so you will have to carry the torch.