The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

southern skiing

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
johnfekete1
Beginner

for the life of me i dont know why everybody gets excited about beech. It is just like the small ski area in central NY i grew up on. Used to be 100 for season pass with a lot more snow than beech. beech has one worthwhile trail white lightning which two years ago was not open all year ugh.
Buy me a steak dinner after this advice i proclaim now BEST SOUTHERN SKI by far is Nordica enfrorcer 94, Great on ice plows through wet snow slush no ski can compare down here, they are not fantastic at moguls so what very few trails down here have them and very few fools can run them well. they are decent in powder which is all you need down here. I was at snowshoe one weekend when it snowed like crazy all day and they groomed the powder down nooooooo. aLSO SOUTHERN skiers dont know how to ski sides of runs two hours into powder days the dummies kept going down the middle i had fresh powder on the sides another two hours.
NEXT THE SOUTH DID not get the memo snowboards are losing popularity im at snowbird utah i dont see any they say bad for the traverses and the new shaped skis are sooooo good in powder no point in snowboarding. In the trees snowboards have a slight advantage.
i PREDICTED WHEN hawksnest would cease ski operations 3 months before the announcement i did not get credit for that, I now predict another ski area will go under this offseason.
WHEN THE HECK IS SOME SKI SHOPS GONNA go out of buisness makes no sense we have so many this aint colorado.
David703

Couldn't agree more. The people who run North Carolina ski areas do a great job given the terrain and climate they have. They can't make the weather colder, the winter longer, the mountains bigger. They could, however, let some bump runs form beyond a short section of Gunther's at Sugar, and manage the woods for glades, even if the snowpack is deep enough only sporadically. As for Beech, based on one day there, yes, it's not worth the extra drive. There's just not much to it.
Small hill in CNY: Labrador? Toggenburg? Woods Valley?
marzski
Advanced

David703 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:47 am Couldn't agree more. The people who run North Carolina ski areas do a great job given the terrain and climate they have. They can't make the weather colder, the winter longer, the mountains bigger. They could, however, let some bump runs form beyond a short section of Gunther's at Sugar, and manage the woods for glades, even if the snowpack is deep enough only sporadically. As for Beech, based on one day there, yes, it's not worth the extra drive. There's just not much to it.
Small hill in CNY: Labrador? Toggenburg? Woods Valley?
If you want to ski bumps in the southeast, consider making the trek to Timberline in WV.

Sugar and Beech have plenty of customers who wouldn't have any idea how to get down an ungroomed run. Massanutten allows people to ski in the trees after a rare snowstorm that provides enough coverage. That happens perhaps once a season . . . for a day or two at most.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
almost good
Beginner

Wolf Ridge, who usually only gets a few runs open every year, has allowed people to ski the whole mountain-all trails and the woods-on the few days that there was enough natural snow. Turns out I am one of those people who has no idea of how to ski an ungroomed run. It was a lot of fun for those who do know how though.
johnfekete1
Beginner

DAVID 703 WOODS VALLEY wow i skied there once. You needed to make the drive to gore. GORE is like number 8 or 9 in the whole east ski areas.