The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Situation at Wintergreen?

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
jpaterni
Beginner

What are the chances that significant additional terrain opens at Wintergreen in the next week? I know that conditions have been absolutely atrocious for snowmaking until this week, but from what I remember Wintergreen limped through last season without opening most of their terrain, and 20-21 seemed to be a banner year for most of the region.

Is it a foolish hope to think that the highcountry area will be open by the weekend of the 21st?
bamapilot
Expert

Two weeks is a long way away when dealing with the weather. I would think with continued cold, should be able to get more open. Obviously if it warms a few degrees with no more natural snow, they will have what they have.

Just got to keep watching the weather.
marzski
Advanced

From what I've heard in the past few years, Wintergreen may run into issues with water supply. Meaning they may not be able to go full blast on snowmaking for nights on end if there is no melting to re-supply the lake. It also supplies the potable water for the resort.

Massanutten used to have a water supply issue if daytime snowing was possible more than 48 hours. Building a 2-mile pipeline from the valley and getting permission to draw from a larger stream means that they have pretty much unlimited water now. That's why they've been able to add so many more fan guns. Also added compressors. Trail expansion on the upper mountain is planned over the next couple years.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
marzski
Advanced

Massanutten is opening up Paradice this weekend. That's much earlier than usual. Especially considering they pretty much had to start over on all the trails after the big meltdown.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
rquick643

I've skied Wintergreen for over 30 years and even worked there a few of those. 99.9% chance the Highlands are open this weekend along with additional trails. They have had water issues in the past but it mostly stems from dry spells in the Fall. I think they are good on water, just need consistent temps which the forecast now shows.

Last season they opened all but one trail, the season before I believe they struggled with water and temps.

I would buy lift tickets early are they are limited and the 14th-16th are already sold out. They will however release more as more terrain opens.
johnfekete1
Beginner

rquickkkkkkk you may be changing to massanutten steep ski trail under the lift thats a rarity down south. They may go buy wintergreen as the place to go. SUGAR is now right up there with new lifts and gunter trail just need moguls on woop dee doo .
outer limits is rarely open i did ski 10 bump runs on that trail 5 years ago it was fun but flattttttt bump runs beat your body up when you go decent speed which i did. Im 60 now might only do 3 fast runs down it now lol.
woop de doo would be great with moguls steep so gravity on your side.
johnfekete1
Beginner

WINTERGREEN GETTING PASSED BY RQUICKKKKKKKKKKK YOU NEED TO PICK A NEW mountain dummy. Gunters way now at sugar and new lifts sugar cheaper also . wheres the damm great snowmaking wintergreen promised 3 or 4 years ago not seeing it. RQQQQQQQQQQICKKKK massanutten with improvements will blow by wintergreen you greenhorn. wELL YOU WILL STILL BE FAR BETTER THAN BEECH LOL.