The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Main lift at Beech???

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
SalisburySkier
Beginner

Hey Guys,

Anyone have any info on why the main lift at Beech is down this morning (1-7-22)? Any info would be appreciated as I am trying to decide my weekend plans. Thanks Guys
Wanakenatransplant
Beginner

Looks like it is running now. Just curious, do you live in Salisbury, NC?
bamapilot
Expert

He’s probably just a big fan of the steak.
SalisburySkier
Beginner

I am from Salisbury, and a fan of steak too, although I prefer a grilled ribeye over Salisbury steak.
I see that the lift that runs up lookers right of white lightning is spinning, but I am talking about the main quad that that loads at the very bottom of the mountain and runs up between lightning and southern star. I was really hoping that they would both be running tomorrow for what I am sure will be a pretty big Saturday crowd.
So....is it broken or are they just giving it a rest? I also checked the cam last night around 8PM and I think is was idle then too. I really don't want to drive 3 hours one way and have to fight the line at just one lift going to the top. I get it, conditions are great and the crowds will be there, but can't we at least have all lifts serving the top of the mountain spinning?
SalisburySkier
Beginner

Check the cam now (Friday @ 2:20), you can see the line to the open lift starting to stretch up the mountain and across the beginner slope. This is exactly what I was afraid of.
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

Beech has been notorious for having lift issues in the past 5 years. I love the place, but I find myself always hesitant on choosing to go there on a cold, snowy pow day.
WOOOOOO!

David Orr
Beginner

Beech is a wonderful place and old school vibe except for the condition of the lifts...Unlike, Sugar who always reinvests in their lifts but tends to be crowded on weekends and holidays. Just added a brand new quad on Birch.
SalisburySkier
Beginner

I agree, Beech's lift history has me nervous for sure. Isn't lift 5 pretty new? This just blows my mind, I mean what is the most essential part of a ski resort? Gotta have the lifts in tip top shape for a crowded weekend.
One more question, any one have experience with the 1/2 day tickets at Beech? Website says first come first serve only on those. Will I be SOL at 8 am wanting to buy 4? Thanks guys.
David Orr
Beginner

SalisburySkier wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:54 pm I agree, Beech's lift history has me nervous for sure. Isn't lift 5 pretty new? This just blows my mind, I mean what is the most essential part of a ski resort? Gotta have the lifts in tip top shape for a crowded weekend.
One more question, any one have experience with the 1/2 day tickets at Beech? Website says first come first serve only on those. Will I be SOL at 8 am wanting to buy 4? Thanks guys.
Depends on the day of the week...I always buy on-line when going to Beech. Want to be guaranteed a ticket when making the drive up. Usually buy the Twilight even though I leave a bit early.
Juice
Beginner

The 2 main lifts that go to the top are less than 5 years old. I thin 3 or 4 years old.