The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Snowshoe Western Territory

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
Wanakenatransplant
Beginner

I see they started making snow on Western Territory. Any idea how long it takes them on average to get it open? We are heading up on the 28th and hoping it will be open by then to help spread out the crowds.

It has been a couple years since going there. Any suggestions to minimize waiting in the lift lines? Or lift lines to avoid? We are staying in the village. Is it worth going over to Silver Creek as there may be less crowds? Any help is appreciated.
bamapilot
Expert

As far as how long it takes to get it open, that all depends on weather. You are going to be there during the holidays, crowds are a part of it. Obviously with more terrain open, more space for people to spread out. It’s been years since I’ve been to the ‘shoe, but my experience is Silver Creek usually has less crowd.

Prepare for lifelines, going in with that attitude will make for a better experience. Enjoy it and be patient.
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

Mike and I will be there the week after Xmas as well. Been doing that week for several years now. I'm assuming they will have Western open by then. They had it open the past several years.

Your best plan is to hit rope drop. That's a must. Make sure to be at the top of Ballhooter at 8:55am. The first hour won't be terrible and you can lap Ballhooter but after that every single open lift is going to be packed. It is what it is. Avoid the Powder Monkey lift at all costs. Stick to Ballhooter, Soaring Eagle, or Powderridge.

Western won't be bad more than likely but everything in the basin will be. Heading over to Silver Creek is a great idea for late morning to early afternoon. I always end my day lapping Ballhooter.

They didn't have single lines last year due to COVID. Not sure if they have them this year.
WOOOOOO!

marzski
Advanced

Read on DCSki that Cupp should open on Friday afternoon, Dec. 24. :-)
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
Wanakenatransplant
Beginner

theKENDOG wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:32 am Mike and I will be there the week after Xmas as well. Been doing that week for several years now. I'm assuming they will have Western open by then. They had it open the past several years.

Your best plan is to hit rope drop. That's a must. Make sure to be at the top of Ballhooter at 8:55am. The first hour won't be terrible and you can lap Ballhooter but after that every single open lift is going to be packed. It is what it is. Avoid the Powder Monkey lift at all costs. Stick to Ballhooter, Soaring Eagle, or Powderridge.

Western won't be bad more than likely but everything in the basin will be. Heading over to Silver Creek is a great idea for late morning to early afternoon. I always end my day lapping Ballhooter.

They didn't have single lines last year due to COVID. Not sure if they have them this year.
Thanks for the help Kenny. I appreciate it. I see Cupp opened, so that will be good. Hopefully, all of the rain on Monday and Tuesday don't wash out too much snow.