Tahoe Area

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
skimannc1
Beginner

I'm looking at doing a trip to the Lake Tahoe area. Planning to fly into Reno and stay in South Lake Tahoe. Trying to decide which resorts I should definitely ski. I am thinking of doing Heavenly, Kirkwood and Alpine Meadows (is the drive bad for this?) I'm planning on skiing 5 days and want to know where I should plan to double up or if there is another resorty I should go to.

How is the drive from Reno to South Lake Tahoe, I will be driving it late the night I fly in and driving back after a day of skiing.
Ski Bunny
Advanced

Since you are planning on skiing at both Heavenly and Kirkwood, I suggest that you buy an Epic Day pass that includes both of those resorts plus Northstar. Passes are currently reduced 20% but must be purchased by October 14 before the price increases. The drive from Reno to South Lake Tahoe takes a little over an hour if the roads are clear. As for driving to Alpine, highway 89 frequently closes for avalanche control or just closes due to snow. But if the road is open, the drive is beautiful. A stop at Emerald Bay is a must.
swamphox
Expert

consider homewood as well. u wont regret it
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 20-21
App 1
Cat 2