The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Tahoe Area

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
skimannc1
Beginner

I'm looking at doing a trip to the Lake Tahoe area. Planning to fly into Reno and stay in South Lake Tahoe. Trying to decide which resorts I should definitely ski. I am thinking of doing Heavenly, Kirkwood and Alpine Meadows (is the drive bad for this?) I'm planning on skiing 5 days and want to know where I should plan to double up or if there is another resorty I should go to.

How is the drive from Reno to South Lake Tahoe, I will be driving it late the night I fly in and driving back after a day of skiing.
Ski Bunny
Advanced

Since you are planning on skiing at both Heavenly and Kirkwood, I suggest that you buy an Epic Day pass that includes both of those resorts plus Northstar. Passes are currently reduced 20% but must be purchased by October 14 before the price increases. The drive from Reno to South Lake Tahoe takes a little over an hour if the roads are clear. As for driving to Alpine, highway 89 frequently closes for avalanche control or just closes due to snow. But if the road is open, the drive is beautiful. A stop at Emerald Bay is a must.
swamphox
Expert

consider homewood as well. u wont regret it
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3
bfeller
Intermediate

Been there, done that. Stayed in Truckee. Did Northstar, Squaw, Kirkwood? and a few others. The drive around the lake was fine. Long. Much better than any commute to work. They had a good winter that year. I have heard sometimes they don’t get much snow.
marzski
Advanced

skimannc1 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:57 pm I'm looking at doing a trip to the Lake Tahoe area. Planning to fly into Reno and stay in South Lake Tahoe. Trying to decide which resorts I should definitely ski. I am thinking of doing Heavenly, Kirkwood and Alpine Meadows (is the drive bad for this?) I'm planning on skiing 5 days and want to know where I should plan to double up or if there is another resorty I should go to.

How is the drive from Reno to South Lake Tahoe, I will be driving it late the night I fly in and driving back after a day of skiing.
When staying in South Lake Tahoe, sticking with Heavenly and Kirkwood is easiest. Heavenly is huge so it will take a day to figure out the place. Unfortunately Sierra-At-Tahoe had a lot of fire damage so it's not really worth it.

In good weather, the drive is pretty and worth doing once.

Would you have time to check out Mount Rose on the way to the airport? Back in 2010 I booked a red-eye flight home to allow time to ski that day. Only 45 min from the airport. Quite a variety of terrain from easy to expert chutes.

What's been a favorite resort out west before?
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.