The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

New Hampshire Recommendations

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
WVULINK
Beginner

I have to go to Connecticut next week for work and I'd like to get some skiing in next weekend. I have never skied in the northeast so I'm looking for recommendations that would be good for a intermediate level skier.

Unfortunately anything in VT is out due to COVID quarantine requirements (nobody is exempt from quarantining in VT). However NH is a possibility because I would be exempt from their quarantine requirements (because I tested positive and recovered within the last 90 days).

I'm leaning toward Mt Sunapee, but also considering Loon or Cannon Mtn. I want the big mountain experience, but I don't want the big mountain crowds either (and unfortunately going on a weekday is not an option for me this time).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
marzski
Advanced

Hmm, I like Loon if what you are looking for is a "ski resort" with good lifts, but it usually has crowds on weekends. But might not be too bad with capacity limits. Has good trails for intermediates. There are separate sections and two bases, so can get away from the worst of the crowds.

Cannon is old school. Can be icy so wouldn't be a good idea unless there is good snow conditions. Plus the Tram isn't running at all this season.

Sunapee is a "ski area." Since it's on Epic, the number of people is controlled by requiring reservations for passholders. Have you checked if day tickets are available on the weekend?
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
WVULINK
Beginner

I am also considering Bretton Woods. Originally I didn't want to go that far north but if I'm considering Loon and Cannon, Bretton isn't that much further.
WVULINK
Beginner

marzski wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:20 pm
Have you checked if day tickets are available on the weekend?
Good Point.....Loon is already sold out for that day, but there is still availability at Sunapee, Cannon, and Bretton.
marzski
Advanced

WVULINK wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:48 am I am also considering Bretton Woods. Originally I didn't want to go that far north but if I'm considering Loon and Cannon, Bretton isn't that much further.
For grooming, Bretton Woods does a much better job than Cannon. I got a nice tour from a local. She and her husband retired to the town next to Cannon. But on days when Cannon is too windy or cold or icy, she makes the drive to BW. BW is a ski resort, although the fancy hotel is down the road. The Mt. Washington Hotel is a historic hotel that can be worth a stop to look around the lobby if you like that sort of thing.

You might consider Waterville Valley. It has a high speed lift to the top that accesses a lot of terrain. Plus a triple on the second peak that probably never gets busy that has classic New England trails. Also blue groomers at the top served by a T-bar.

WV doesn't get talked about much. My sense is that most of the people who ski there are regulars who have a second home or seasonal rental. Plenty of multi-generational families. It has a strong racing program. There is a lot of lodging nearby in the actual valley. WV is also a major nordic center. It hosts national competitions for both freestyle and nordic. I was impressed enough by my first experience at WV during early season to go back later that season when it was 100% open. That was the season the T-bar was installed. I had other reasons to be driving up to Boston that winter.

Waterville Valley impressions
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index ... 018.23572/
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
marzski
Advanced

Apparently Twitter is the place to follow snow conditions for Sunapee. Saw a comment on national ski forum. Due to the recent warm temps, some areas of Sunapee are going to be icy this weekend and will likely be closed.

Bretton Woods in more protected from both wind and sun, so tends to be less icy. Probably has better snowmaking. Although Sunapee had quite a lot of improvements in the years just before Vail Resorts become the operator since it was operated by the company that owned and operated Okemo and Crested Butte. Sunapee land is owned by the State of NH.
Old Fart
Beginner

I skied at Wildcat one day and was impressed. Great view of Tuckermans Ravine and Mt Washington just across the valley. Was a great lift served day after hiking Tucks the day before.
WVULINK
Beginner

marzski wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:48 pm
Bretton Woods in more protected from both wind and sun, so tends to be less icy. Probably has better snowmaking.
Based on this I've decided to go to Bretton, even though conditions aren't looking great for this weekend.
marzski
Advanced

WVULINK wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:39 am
marzski wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:48 pm
Bretton Woods in more protected from both wind and sun, so tends to be less icy. Probably has better snowmaking.
Based on this I've decided to go to Bretton, even though conditions aren't looking great for this weekend.
Well, it certainly won't be spring skiing. If they do some snowmaking then the groomers could be decent. Temps look like they will be in the teens. But the worst of the wind should be over by the weekend. I took a look at the OpenSnow forecast.