The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Beech Mountain/Sugar/App compared to Snowshoe?

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
gabriellus

Hey all!

Can anyone with experience at both sets of resorts run down Beech/Sugar/App trails compared to trails from Snowshoe/Silver Creek? I know Snowshoe as well as I know anything, taking annual trips there for my whole life, but NC mountains as a whole are a total mystery, at least in winter.

Love the forum!

Thanks in advance!
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

gabriellus wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:25 pm Hey all!

Can anyone with experience at both sets of resorts run down Beech/Sugar/App trails compared to trails from Snowshoe/Silver Creek? I know Snowshoe as well as I know anything, taking annual trips there for my whole life, but NC mountains as a whole are a total mystery, at least in winter.

Love the forum!

Thanks in advance!
Welcome!

All three resorts are wayyyyy smaller than Snowshoe in terms of acreage, especially App. App is pretty tiny and only has like 300-400 foot vert. Sugar and Beech have a comparable vertical drop, with Sugar having more than the basin side at Snowshoe actually.

The runs themselves are comparable in terms of steepness and vert, there's just less of them and everything funnels down into one area which causes traffic.
WOOOOOO!

gabriellus

Interesting!

We’re headed to Beech for a day on Wednesday, with my two boys, the youngest is solid enough on greens and the teenager did a blue at Massanutten on his second day. I was hoping to get by the end of the day to be able to go top-to-bottom either on the Oz side or Shawneehaw or Robbins. Meadows should obviously be doable, worst case scenario.

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BristolPistol

Snowshoe is as close as youll get to a big resort in the Mid-Atlantic. Cant really compare the 3 in the Boone are to it in terms of size, weather, or amenities. Much nice facilities at Snowshoe by far!
philipwicker
Beginner

Everyone is on point here. We've done them all. Snowhshoe by far will almost always have the best weather and terrain. Me and my family of young kids enjoy beech for its atmosphere as it caters to us currently. We've been doing annual multi day trips there for years and stay within proximity of the sledding hill near town hall and walking distance to the slopes so we can all casually come and go as we please from our rental condo. Like any NC resort, the weather can swing mild and conditions can be slushy. We were just up there this past Sunday to Wednesday. TONS of snow has fallen this season so even with the mild temps that kicked in Tuesday-Wednesday, the conditions were great. As our kids progress, we will likely go to places like snowshoe to take advantage of better terrain and conditions. For now, Beech gives us what we need as a snowboard family of five.
gabriellus

Thanks so much for all the great feedback.

The trip to Beech was really a lot of fun. The mountain was in great shape and the boys did excellent. I've never been in wind like that before in my life, though. We unloaded in 10 degree temps with 40 MPH winds, like the summit of Everest or something. We even did Shawneenaw which made them very proud. Oz was closed for wind which bummed me out. I'm sure the boys could have done that one.

I think the crux of my OP was attempting to reach out to those who could compare the runs in NC to runs in Snowshoe. For instance, I'd say Meadows is like Cubb Run, Shawneenaw is a narrow, exposed Skip Jack but way shorter, Powder Bowl (NOT a blue) was a wider Heislers. That kind of thing. It would help me (and others in similar circumstances) visualize what I'm up against when deciding to spend a day (and $) there. We all know the green/blue/black levels don't track perfectly from mountain to mountain.

Headed to Sugar in a couple weeks to try it out. Thanks again!
Dracan6
Expert
Tagline: Ready, set, see ya'!

YEah. ^^^ Ap is small. it's more for park and features... Boarders seem to dig Beech.. As a skiier, I prefer Sugar, especially on off days.
17-18 Just a wk at Breck. "Got Oxegen?" Is real!