The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Is Sugar not selling advance lift tickets online?

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
dj
Advanced

Subject pretty much says it all - I've looked at the website a couple of times and can't find a link to purchase lift tickets.

I'd like to buy in advance for Monday January 25 before we make the couple of hour drive. May have to go with Beech since they do offer advance purchase.

Thanks,
dj
brigand
Beginner

I don't think you have anything to worry about. I've been to Sugar 4 or 5 times already this year, and they clearly have made no effort to limit sales. Last time I went (on a Wednesday no less) it was completely packed all the way to the bottom parking lot. You get there and they will sell you a ticket I am pretty sure. That being said, go early, the crowd doesn't really pick up until after lunch.
deere25
Beginner

Each weekend since Christmas, Sugar has cut off ticket sales by 10am. With Monday being a holiday, if you're not there and parked by 9 am you are pressing your luck. They do not offer online sales so being there is the only way to get a ticket. As brigand said, midweek has been nearly as busy with their lots filling but not out to the overflow lot at the highway. People want to be outside during this mess, and they are here!
canadianbacon828
Beginner

Sugar does not have online ticket sales. It's MLK weekend...IF you are crazy enough to ski this weekend you better get there early. They will hit capacity by 10am every day. That means you will need to be in line before they open. 8-8:30am if not sooner.
dj
Advanced

I'm talking about NEXT weekend - Monday the 25th - DEFINITELY NOT going on MLK weekend! :o

Good to know we can probably get tix. Thanks!

I might hit Cat for a couple of hours tomorrow morning. If I do I'll leave between 10:30 and 11:00 when the lift stops 2 or 3 times in one ride :roll:
canadianbacon828
Beginner

dj wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:54 pm I'm talking about NEXT weekend - Monday the 25th - DEFINITELY NOT going on MLK weekend! :o

Good to know we can probably get tix. Thanks!

I might hit Cat for a couple of hours tomorrow morning. If I do I'll leave between 10:30 and 11:00 when the lift stops 2 or 3 times in one ride :roll:
Every weekend is at capacity. I would go during the week or not at all personally. If you aren't in line on a weekend by 8, good luck getting tickets.
dj
Advanced

Yeah, weekends are always a madhouse. That's why we're hoping Monday won't be as bad.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

boredtoo
Beginner

I'll share my experience. I have a friend who hasn't skied in awhile, and the only day he could get away any time soon was yesterday (the Saturday of MLK weekend). Like everyone has said here, weekends are usually crazy at Sugar, and given that this was also MLK weekend with a favorable forecast, the conditions were ripe for pandemonium. We arrived from Atlanta around 4 pm on Friday, decided to get an early dinner, and arrive at the ticket window no later than 7:30 pm that night (Sugar sells tickets for the next day from 8 pm to 9 pm the previous evening) to make sure we got tickets for Saturday. When we arrived, there was already a sizable line. It was dark, so I didn't get photos, but I felt lucky to get tickets. The next morning we decided to get there early again and arrived around 7:30 am. This is what the line looked like that morning:

If you can believe it, the line the night before was just as bad. Within another 30 minutes or so, traffic had backed up to the main road. On a positive note, the main lift started running early at 8:15 am. Our luck wouldn't hold out though, because 3/4 of the way to the top, power to the entire lower mountain failed. We waited for about 20 minutes until they were able to get the lift moving very slowly. The power outage also caused ticket sales to cease, so the lines weren't bad at all when the lift started back just after 9. It did snow most of the day, so conditions were really good.

dreamnofpow
Expert

Azucar conveniently adjusted their webcams so you cannot see the cluster &(*@#$ at the base and Easy Street.
Happy the resorts are making money after the last few dismal seasons, the crowds are ridiculous though.
jt3
Intermediate

Why is it so darn crowded lately on our hills? I know COVID has impacted everything and everyone differently, but is it people aren’t working or now in-person school? As mentioned above, random weekdays are beyond normal holiday weekend crowds. It’s not been fun...