The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Is Sugar not selling advance lift tickets online?

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
Old Fart
Beginner

The crowds suck, but it's not the ski areas job to let you know in any way how crowded it is. In fact it's in their best interest to not tell you. It's business, I don't have to like it; but I understand it.

Now to the real question; Beech or Sugar on Friday AM?
brigand
Beginner

canadianbacon828 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:01 am
Not to be a broken record but just don't go on a weekend? If you aren't comfortable with the amount of people there then try to go during the week. Or you can just continue to go on a weekend when it's busy and keep complaining. Is what it is. Good conditions and people don't have to work.
I ONLY go on weekdays.... I haven't been to Sugar on a weekend in 15 years. It's gotten absurd how crowded it is on a weekday afternoon. When is the last time you had to wait in line for 30 minutes for the 6-pack... on a non-holiday Wednesday...

Search my posts, I don't usually grouse... but again, hiding the crowds by moving a webcam is extremely sketchy. It's fine if you refuse to limit ticket sales in spite of a plague, and if you refuse to sell tickets online for the same reason - I guess that's business. I would 100% agree with you IF they made it clear what you were driving 3 hours up for. Moving the cameras is a dick move ONLY intended to obfuscate the fact that they have taken no steps to reduce crowds. There's no other reason. I have NEVER seen it so crowded in the middle of the week in 20 years. Enforcing the mask policy is a pittance - pissing in the wind. Your chance of contracting Covid is 100% proportional to the number of people in your direct vicinity. Don't hide it. If you make it clear, then the burden is on the buyer, not Sugar. Hiding it is crappy.
deere25
Beginner

Back to the trip report that boredtoo posted, that was the best report that may have been posted on here in quite a while! He pointed out the obvious, had some great pics and made the best out of the trip without whining or complaining. Kudos to you sir! Another opinion that I am 100% sure I'll be slammed for, if you are here complaining about the crowd size during the pandemic, you are part of the problem! XYZ Resort did not open their doors on a particular day just for you, so don't expect to just show up and have the place to yourself! Yes, the entire eastern half of the USA has been here for the last 3 weeks and I don't see it slowing down any time soon. People want to be outside doing something, and the ski resorts are a good avenue for this. It isn't any of the resorts fault for the crowds being here, this blame needs to be placed on the travelers themselves. So hush up the whining about the crowd size, get your tail out of bed early and be there at rope drop and enjoy some uncrowded turns from 8-10 or go at night. Be happy there is skiing at all in the Southern U.S.
canadianbacon828
Beginner

brigand wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:06 pm
Not to be a broken record but just don't go on a weekend? If you aren't comfortable with the amount of people there then try to go during the week. Or you can just continue to go on a weekend when it's busy and keep complaining. Is what it is. Good conditions and people don't have to work.
I ONLY go on weekdays.... I haven't been to Sugar on a weekend in 15 years. It's gotten absurd how crowded it is on a weekday afternoon. When is the last time you had to wait in line for 30 minutes for the 6-pack... on a non-holiday Wednesday...

Search my posts, I don't usually grouse... but again, hiding the crowds by moving a webcam is extremely sketchy. It's fine if you refuse to limit ticket sales in spite of a plague, and if you refuse to sell tickets online for the same reason - I guess that's business. I would 100% agree with you IF they made it clear what you were driving 3 hours up for. Moving the cameras is a dick move ONLY intended to obfuscate the fact that they have taken no steps to reduce crowds. There's no other reason. I have NEVER seen it so crowded in the middle of the week in 20 years. Enforcing the mask policy is a pittance - pissing in the wind. Your chance of contracting Covid is 100% proportional to the number of people in your direct vicinity. Don't hide it. If you make it clear, then the burden is on the buyer, not Sugar. Hiding it is crappy.
So don't go? Go somewhere else? Go somewhere that sells tickets online if that's your thing. There isn't a law that states they have to sell tickets online and there isn't a law that states they have to angle their cameras a specific way. They are limiting sales. They sell out by 8 or 9pm for the next day. If that limit doesn't suit you, then don't go. Complaining on a forum that very few people read that it's too crowded for you, or you don't like the way their cameras are angled are as you put it "pissing in the wind".
Wanakenatransplant
Beginner

canadianbacon828 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:24 pm
brigand wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:06 pm

So don't go? Go somewhere else? Go somewhere that sells tickets online if that's your thing. There isn't a law that states they have to sell tickets online and there isn't a law that states they have to angle their cameras a specific way. They are limiting sales. They sell out by 8 or 9pm for the next day. If that limit doesn't suit you, then don't go. Complaining on a forum that very few people read that it's too crowded for you, or you don't like the way their cameras are angled are as you put it "pissing in the wind".
It is his choice to complain and it is a legitimate one as he is a payong customer and wants a good experience for his money. When someone is paying $70 for a lift ticket they don't want to stand in line for an hour each for a lift, finding parking, getting a lift ticket is ridiculous.
canadianbacon828
Beginner

[/quote]
It is his choice to complain and it is a legitimate one as he is a payong customer and wants a good experience for his money. When someone is paying $70 for a lift ticket they don't want to stand in line for an hour each for a lift, finding parking, getting a lift ticket is ridiculous.
[/quote]

Cool story. In the meantime I'm going skiing and I'm going to make it a point to thank all the staff I see for working during a pandemic. Cheers.