The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Thanks for the article about masks!

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
Old Fart
Beginner

Saturday at Cataloochee, I was shocked at the number of people not wearing masks. I would say less than 10% were wearing masks in the lift line or on the lift. I'm not convinced of the efficacy of them, especially not the neck gaiter style; but hey it's the rules. Just do it.

canadianbacon828
Beginner

Old Fart wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:50 am Saturday at Cataloochee, I was shocked at the number of people not wearing masks. I would say less than 10% were wearing masks in the lift line or on the lift. I'm not convinced of the efficacy of them, especially not the neck gaiter style; but hey it's the rules. Just do it.

I'm sure their staff appreciated you wearing a mask. Thanks for being respectful about it.
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

Old Fart wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:50 am Saturday at Cataloochee, I was shocked at the number of people not wearing masks. I would say less than 10% were wearing masks in the lift line or on the lift. I'm not convinced of the efficacy of them, especially not the neck gaiter style; but hey it's the rules. Just do it.
Damn 10%? This past weekend at Snowshoe I took down my mask on the lift sometimes once I got out of the terminals. They're required in line and getting on/off, but otherwise you can pull them down I believe.
WOOOOOO!

canadianbacon828
Beginner

theKENDOG wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:50 am
Damn 10%? This past weekend at Snowshoe I took down my mask on the lift sometimes once I got out of the terminals. They're required in line and getting on/off, but otherwise you can pull them down I believe.
What are the restrictions/orders in WV? Fyi Governor Cooper just issued another stay at home order in NC.
https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/new-pa ... /19419179/
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

canadianbacon828 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:16 pm What are the restrictions/orders in WV? Fyi Governor Cooper just issued another stay at home order in NC.
Yeah I saw him do that yesterday. As somebody who understands what happens to drunk people late at night I think it's reasonable.

As for West Virginia, this is the latest.

https://governor.wv.gov/Pages/Statewide ... ement.aspx

Snowshoe requires them on when in line or when indoors. As far as I can tell (both from their website and the fact I was up there twice this summer and now once this winter), when you're on the lift itself it's not required. I think the reason for this is their site says this..."Individuals who do not arrive or reside together shall not ride the same lift."

However, Winterplace's website says you have to keep them on while riding the lift. Their lift riding requirements are different though..." Lift attendants will work to put parties together on lifts, but unaffilliated skiers or riders may be loaded on the same chair, and chairlift capacity will be limited to provide additional physical spacing between seats. Guests who are not comfortable riding with others will not be forced to, but may have to wait for lift access."
WOOOOOO!

canadianbacon828
Beginner

theKENDOG wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:31 am
canadianbacon828 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:16 pm What are the restrictions/orders in WV? Fyi Governor Cooper just issued another stay at home order in NC.
Yeah I saw him do that yesterday. As somebody who understands what happens to drunk people late at night I think it's reasonable.

Snowshoe requires them on when in line or when indoors. As far as I can tell (both from their website and the fact I was up there twice this summer and now once this winter), when you're on the lift itself it's not required. I think the reason for this is their site says this..."Individuals who do not arrive or reside together shall not ride the same lift."

However, Winterplace's website says you have to keep them on while riding the lift. Their lift riding requirements are different though..." Lift attendants will work to put parties together on lifts, but unaffilliated skiers or riders may be loaded on the same chair, and chairlift capacity will be limited to provide additional physical spacing between seats. Guests who are not comfortable riding with others will not be forced to, but may have to wait for lift access."
That is pretty much the norm based on what I have seen so far. For what it's worth, an individual was arrested at one of the NC resorts over the weekend for refusing to comply with the executive order. He was in the lodge, refused to put face covering on, and refused to leave. He was not eating or drinking at the time, just non compliant. Good times.
canadianbacon828
Beginner

Fyi, Aspen is requiring a visitor affidavit stating that you have tested negative in the last 72 hrs and are symptom free. Accommodations are not accepting reservations or letting you check in without it apparently. Not sure if they have the authority to request proof of the actual test, but good on them nonetheless. I would expect a lot of resorts in Colorado to follow suit.
TannerP
Expert

canadianbacon828 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:55 pm
theKENDOG wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:31 am

That is pretty much the norm based on what I have seen so far. For what it's worth, an individual was arrested at one of the NC resorts over the weekend for refusing to comply with the executive order. He was in the lodge, refused to put face covering on, and refused to leave. He was not eating or drinking at the time, just non compliant. Good times.
Directive for winterplace employees is to politely ask guests to wear their mask while in the lift line. If they don't comply, don't engage in debtate, just offer to let them talk to either the president or vice president. Those guys are gonna be pretty busy this year lol.
marzski
Advanced

Mask usage in lift lines was quite good at Jackson Hole and Alta in the past couple weeks. Plenty of out-of-state travelers midweek. More locals after 15+ inches last Thu night. But lifties are reminding people about covering noses on a regular basis, so the locals are getting with the program. Alta parking was full by 9:30 on the powder days, meaning Wildcat, Albion, and town parking.

Okay at Grand Targhee last Saturday but a lot of people had just a thin buff, which doesn't really do that much. Lots of locals that day after a snowstorm that dropped 10 inches in 24 hours.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
canadianbacon828
Beginner

The latest trend in NC are people trying to use ventilated masks as face coverings... Those folks were not allowed in lift lines without proper face coverings.