The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Thanks for the article about masks!

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
tyrell
Beginner

Thanks to Mike for the article, I had half a rant typed up yesterday along the same lines, but Mike was much more eloquent.

We've all had to cancel a lot this year because of the virus (including a late season trip in March), but we've also had to cancel things that we probably wouldn't have if people wore their *darn* masks. If this season gets cut short because of idiots who won't do something simple to look out for others, I'm going to be very upset.

And yes, I'm not super worried about my health or my kids. But 280,000 Americans have died from this. Health care workers are killing themselves trying to help as many people as they can. Have some respect for them and compassion for your fellow humans; wear a mask and don't stand to close to people.

https://www.skisoutheast.com/dont-be-th ... is-winter/
I want more life...
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

Yeah it was a good post. Him and I were talking earlier about things, including stuff I noticed here at the Shoe today. Regardless of your thoughts on the matter, just do what is necessary to make sure we have a complete ski season.
WOOOOOO!

canadianbacon828
Beginner

Wear your freaking masks or you will affect more than just ski season. A lot of us work in the industry. We close, we don't get paid.
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

canadianbacon828 wrote:Wear your freaking masks or you will affect more than just ski season. A lot of us work in the industry. We close, we don't get paid.
What he said.
WOOOOOO!

Wanakenatransplant
Beginner

canadianbacon828 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:35 pm Wear your freaking masks or you will affect more than just ski season. A lot of us work in the industry. We close, we don't get paid.
Hopefully the resorts will do there part and train and allow their employees to call out and pull people from lift lines, restaurants, ski shops, etc. if they are not following the rules. As a house owner on Beech we ski there the most. Their lift ops employees have never done a good job of keeping an organized lift line, filling chairs of the quad on busy weekends, or taking control and removing idiot skiers and boarders. I hope they take the rules serious this year and implement them, but I really don't have much faith in them. The same is true of Sugar as well. When I was at Octoberfest, Gunther was walking around in the building and crowds without a mask, so I don't think he is too concerned about masks either. Hopefully resorts and their employees will push out customers not following the rules so we can have a season and the employees and local businesses can make some money this season.
canadianbacon828
Beginner

Wanakenatransplant wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:47 am
canadianbacon828 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:35 pm Wear your freaking masks or you will affect more than just ski season. A lot of us work in the industry. We close, we don't get paid.
Hopefully the resorts will do there part and train and allow their employees to call out and pull people from lift lines, restaurants, ski shops, etc. if they are not following the rules. As a house owner on Beech we ski there the most. Their lift ops employees have never done a good job of keeping an organized lift line, filling chairs of the quad on busy weekends, or taking control and removing idiot skiers and boarders. I hope they take the rules serious this year and implement them, but I really don't have much faith in them. The same is true of Sugar as well. When I was at Octoberfest, Gunther was walking around in the building and crowds without a mask, so I don't think he is too concerned about masks either. Hopefully resorts and their employees will push out customers not following the rules so we can have a season and the employees and local businesses can make some money this season.

I will preface my response with a disclaimer that I am in no way attacking you or defending any resort. Any resort that is not following guidelines should 100% be held accountable. I have been in the industry for 20 years and am affiliated with several and support the industry as a whole. That being said:
-Resort employees shouldn't have to ask a single customer to put a mask on or face covering. They will and have been because people are idiots, but at this point they shouldn't have to. I'm not going to get into "this resort is doing this, the other isn't etc". I will tell you that the one you mentioned is actively asking customers to comply with current regulations and removing non mask wearing customers from the property entirely. I would advise you to review all resorts on current policies and practices rather than assumptions based on past experiences. If you visit any resort and you do not feel that the mandated guidelines are being followed you should: 1-leave immediately if you do not feel safe, and 2-contact their administration office. State officials are clueless as to how the ski industry operates with or without Covid-19. The supplemental article today mentioned the education of state officials regarding operations. To an extent that is accurate but has done little to reassure officials that the industry can operate during the pandemic safely. I implore anyone that has any concern based on a real experience regarding their health safety this season as a patron to handle that concern with that organization as an adult. Using social media, forums, Google reviews etc etc as a public shaming platform will only lead to negative perception and ultimately shut downs.
jt3
Intermediate

rode sugar last night and again first thing this morning. The tension ski patrol is dealing with with yelling about masks is a weird vibe.. I hate that folks can’t figure out to just be courteous and respectful.

That said I made several laps at the same time watching the owner not wearing one either.... also heard a patroller while telling someone to pull up their mask say don’t blame me, blame your governor. Fun...

I go to the mountain to relax and cruise around and enjoy winter weather...not listen to the BS. It’s gonna be a weird season....I wish everyone can just do their part and mellow out..
thracer
Beginner

Wow. I have a lot of respect for Gunther for many different reasons. But if he is not wearing a mask, not only is he setting a poor example for his employees and customers, but he is putting his own business at risk of being shut down.

What was it like in the bar/restaurant on the top floor? Was it even open?
jt3
Intermediate

Waiting for the chair and chatting with workers at the lift line...nada.. his place.. do what ya want I guess...
canadianbacon828
Beginner

jt3 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:02 pm Waiting for the chair and chatting with workers at the lift line...nada.. his place.. do what ya want I guess...
For what it's worth every time I have seen him he has been wearing one. Their lift lines are also set to single file only with 6ft markers in front and to each side. A patroller is also stationed at the beginning of each maze preventing customers without approved face coverings (ie not a t shirt etc) from entering the maze. No mask, no ride basically.