Good Enough Forecast?

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
Wanakenatransplant
Beginner

I think Cat can get open as they open such a small amount of the mountain. Sugar may have trouble laying enough snow on the bottom as they don't have a lot of snowmaking hours over the next few nights. I will be interested if the short windows will allow App to get open. They can make a lot of snow quick if they get the low enough temps. I doubt Beech will open as they are picky about temps needed to make snow and they like to open with a good base, which I don't think is possible with this week's temps.
2slikstix
Expert
Tagline: Tree Whore

Sugar will open for 1 day just for bragging rights... kinda like season first chair riders. Damn i need to get my new skis set up
"You mean there is Two of them??"
"it's about 10 very heavy inches. I can drive it but it sure will be slow"
brigand
Beginner

Ah, the dilemma...

Sugar made snow the past 2 nights, but only at the top where the guns are still going as of 8a this morning. Not a speck of snow on the Base or Easy Street cams. But of course prime snowmaking temps start tonight for about 12 hours. Surely they wouldn't have left the guns on for 2 days for just a test?

Do I get up at 5a tomorrow and head to the mountains before daylight and a chance to see the webcams? Happened last year on Nov 3rd - guns were going top to bottom when I went to bed, so I committed, and the next morning I was in Greensboro headed to Boone when I could finally see the webcams and the feeble little patches of snow they made at the bottom. Not much to lose but time and gas money. Not like the Coronavirus hasn't left me with 35 unused vacation days....

Am I the only crazy person that is probably gonna risk a drive up in the morning on the hope that I actually ski before December?
johnmelton
Beginner

brigand wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:51 am Am I the only crazy person that is probably gonna risk a drive up in the morning on the hope that I actually ski before December?
Definitely not, I have made the trip from Wilmington under the same situation many times. Last year I had to divert to Cat because Sugar could not open. I am glad I did, I really enjoyed skiing Cat, even with just lower Omigosh open because the chairlift is fairly steep and you can get a decent amount of vertical in with no lift line.
killglobalwarmingnow
Advanced

Or wait until Thursday am... Cat's base area is still grass.
brigand
Beginner

killglobalwarmingnow wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:17 am Or wait until Thursday am... Cat's base area is still grass.
Hmmm...snowmaking temps are marginal Wednesday night - think they will still try again?
killglobalwarmingnow
Advanced

I think they will try to blown wednesday night... I dont know maybe they try to open tomorrow still. I say what the hell and just leave at 5am tomorrow, take a chance.
Woodsrider427
Beginner

Sugar opening tomorrow!! We'll see how long it lasts, fingers crossed. It's tempting to reschedule some appointments for tomorrow but doubt I will.
canadianbacon828
Beginner

I would definitely bring the rock skis....it's super thin out there.
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

I’ll be there. Intrigued to see how sketch things are.
WOOOOOO!