The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Epic, Ikon, or MCP for 2020-21? How about Indy?

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
marzski
Advanced

Anybody have one of the multi-resort passes for 2020-21? I'm thinking about Epic, Ikon, MCP, or Indy.

I've had Ikon since it started up. Bought one after the renewal discount went to $200 instead of $100. With the deferral option good until April, not really much of a risk.

A couple friends decided on MCP because it was less money. Plus they don't ski full weeks on vacations out west.

This is the second season for the Indy Pass. For $199 it's pretty easy to get your money's worth in the southeast with Cataloochee, Winterplace, Canaan Valley, Massanutten, and Bryce on it. Assuming willing to do a bit of driving and stay overnight. First season on Indy for Winterplace. Indy provides 2 days at each location any time, doesn't have to be consecutive. I think a third day is a 25% discount.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
swamphox
Expert

Ober is also on the indy
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

I bought Ikon this year. It's the first time I have bought one of these passes. For me personally, it's perfect. Snowshoe, Brighton, and Solitude. I might try a long weekend at A-Basin this year as I have a buddy who lives in Denver.

I'm pretty stoked. I haven't been out west in several years now and doing this forces me to commit to it. My wife is excited too.
WOOOOOO!

Bultaco
Beginner

theKENDOG wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:02 am I bought Ikon this year. It's the first time I have bought one of these passes. For me personally, it's perfect. Snowshoe, Brighton, and Solitude. I might try a long weekend at A-Basin this year as I have a buddy who lives in Denver.

I'm pretty stoked. I haven't been out west in several years now and doing this forces me to commit to it. My wife is excited too.
The captain, pink and crew will be in Utah last week of Jan. We all have IKON
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

Bultaco wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:27 am
theKENDOG wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:02 am I bought Ikon this year. It's the first time I have bought one of these passes. For me personally, it's perfect. Snowshoe, Brighton, and Solitude. I might try a long weekend at A-Basin this year as I have a buddy who lives in Denver.

INTERESTING. Where ya'll going and what dates?
WOOOOOO!

marzski
Advanced

Indy added two locations. Snow Ridge just east of Buffalo, NY, and Antelope Butte in WY. Snow Ridge gets lake effect snow, so averages over 200 inches. Only a few hundred feet vertical but the locals who make the drive have a very good time making fresh tracks after a storm. Antelope Butte was rescued from oblivion by the local community. Hasn't been open since 2004. It's managed by a non-profit now.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
Bultaco
Beginner

theKENDOG wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:36 am
Bultaco wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:27 am

INTERESTING. Where ya'll going and what dates?
Ski dates Sat Jan 23-Fri 29th. Alta, Brighton, Deer Valley. Already made reservation at Brighton for Sun 24th and Wed 26th
marzski
Advanced

One more week until the Epic and Ikon passes are no longer available. Deadlines are Dec. 6 for Epic and Dec. 10 for Ikon.

Feels like the MCP won't be available after mid-Dec. Meaning it won't be back in January as has been the case for a few years. The last price just was higher than usual. MCP holders won't need reservations as far as I can tell. I know it's true for Jackson Hole, Grand Targhee, and a few other destination resorts. So the MCP doesn't really compete directly with Ikon. It's always been for a different market. Most of the Ikon Partners are also on the MCP.
marzski
Advanced

Used Ikon at Jackson Hole and Alta in the last couple weeks. Nice to be direct-to-lift. A couple of my travel buddies had the MCP. No issues setting them up. JH is not tying credit cards to the MCP this season, so can't be used to charge F&B.

Learned that Ikon can be used as a bus pass for the UTA buses. That's a bit more important that usual since parking can fill up by 9:30am at Alta on a powder day. After that no one who doesn't have a lodging reservation or is only going to pick someone up or drop someone off in LCC is allowed to drive up the canyon road. Snowbird requires a parking reservation.

Being much stricter about parking outside the white sideline on the LCC/BCC roads. Tickets and towing will be used to keep from having any cars that aren't parked properly blocking the roadway.
marzski
Advanced

The Indy Spring Pass goes on sale March 1. $149 good until the slopes close. If you don't use it at least two days, will get some credit towards the 2021-22 Indy Pass.

I've used my Indy Pass 3 times so far. Hope to get in at least 1-2 more uses in March.