The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Winter travel plans?

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
jt3
Intermediate

While working on my usual winter travel out west, I have had a bunch of discussion with friends about the impacts of COVID protocols at the resorts.

Personally, I generally stay away from the mega resorts anyway, so I am hoping my usual spot(s) aren't impacted so much.

How has COVID factored in to your 20/21 travel plans if at all? Just curious everyone's approach.
brigand
Beginner

I wanted to hit Killington this year, but I don't think I can self-quarantine for 2 weeks in Vermont before I can get on the slopes for 5 days. Really hope they relax that rule; if not Copper and A-Basin, or Snowbird/Alta/Brighton?
marzski
Advanced

brigand wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:54 am I wanted to hit Killington this year, but I don't think I can self-quarantine for 2 weeks in Vermont before I can get on the slopes for 5 days. Really hope they relax that rule; if not Copper and A-Basin, or Snowbird/Alta/Brighton?
Don't hold your breath that Vermont will open up to people from southern states. They don't even want people from neighboring MA or NH with higher infection rates.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
marzski
Advanced

I planned more or less the same as recent years. However, my friends and I were far more willing to split the cost of slopeside lodging. We normally are fine driving 10-30 min early enough to get good parking. Also more likely to split a rental car instead of relying on airport shuttles. Also meant more motel reservations instead of looking for VRBO/AirBnB in order to have more flexible cancellation policies. We are prepared to cancel or change destinations out west if needed.

Planning to ski Massanutten and Indy locations in NC, VA, WV in January.

Flying to SLC in Dec for a few days at JH, then a week staying at Snowbird although we'll probably ski Alta more. Feb trip is supposed to be Taos, plus a look at Wolf Creek and Monarch before flying back non-stop from Denver. Alta in April for the usual late season meetup with old friends.

Goal is to use Ikon and Indy as much as possible. I have no doubt the ski areas/resorts will be open, but it's the travel that's complicated.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
jt3
Intermediate

Good to see people still making moves...
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

My wife and I bought an Ikon Pass. Plan on going to Snowshoe a bunch and a trip out to Utah to go ride Solitude and Brighton. She's never been out west before and has been wanting to go. I might also sneak in a weekend trip to Denver and check out A-Basin.
WOOOOOO!

jt3
Intermediate

ill be posted up in wyoming. hopefully the weather pattern is solid and the virus protocols don't impact the season much...
2slikstix
Expert
Tagline: Tree Whore

Doing the anual week in Utah. Adding in some Colorado love with 2 long weekends with my Graduating son moving out to Boulder. If it hits a good storm cycle out west im gonn do a truck trip and follow the fun. Screw Covid... i survived. Flown out to Denver and back last week. Kids have been to Disney in March and in August. Noone died.
"You mean there is Two of them??"
"it's about 10 very heavy inches. I can drive it but it sure will be slow"
marzski
Advanced

jt3 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:11 pm ill be posted up in wyoming. hopefully the weather pattern is solid and the virus protocols don't impact the season much...
Wyoming is not likely to do much in terms of restrictions. Making an instructor I know who lives in Jackson pretty nervous when she has to shop inside stores where few people are wearing face masks even though it's technically required in Teton County. That's the only county with a mask requirement. Number of new cases is spiking right now but supposedly the Percent Positive is only around 5%. Patients are being sent to Utah or Idaho in some cases to avoid any chance of the local medical facilities getting overwhelmed.

JH intends to have limited day tickets in the online store on traditionally busy days. Jan. 30 is already sold out. JH passholders and MCP holders don't need to make a lift access reservation. Ikon holders will need to use the Ikon reservation system. Have friends who bought the MCP even though they already had Full Ikon because they are headed to Jackson.

I'm headed to Jackson in Dec using Ikon. So will see how the Ikon reservation system works in a few weeks when it opens Nov. 9.
marzski
Advanced

Been driving to Asheville on a regular basis since May. DD is at UNCA. Some trips were because her BF graduated in May and is working in Asheville.

We also drove up to Lake Placid in late June with a couple other families. Stayed at a big house on a private lake. Not that hard to avoid getting infected, but does pay to be aware of who is near by.